GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Location of windshield washer fuse for 2000 BMW 323ci

Default Location of windshield washer fuse for 2000 BMW 323ci

My son, Sean just bought a nice 2000 323ci coupe with 69,000 miles on it. The windshield washer is not spraying fluid and you cannot hear the motor running so I suspect it is a fuse. Not being familiar with the car yet I don't readily see where the fuse box is located. Any help would be appreciated.

Al Gray

For E46, fuse box is in glove box. There is two white tabs on top. Turn both and the panel will drop. For windshield washer, check terminal 49 (5 amp) and terminal 51 (30 amp).

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gray View Post
    My son, Sean just bought a nice 2000 323ci coupe with 69,000 miles on it. The windshield washer is not spraying fluid and you cannot hear the motor running so I suspect it is a fuse. Not being familiar with the car yet I don't readily see where the fuse box is located. Any help would be appreciated.

Al Gray
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Default Located fuses in glove box..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    For E46, fuse box is in glove box. There is two white tabs on top. Turn both and the panel will drop. For windshield washer, check terminal 49 (5 amp) and terminal 51 (30 amp).
    I located the fuses and checked all of them for the windshield washer pump, 49, 52, and 59. None were burned out. I can only conclude that either the washer pump is bad ($37.95 cost) or perhaps the switch is bad in the stalk that opertates the windshield wipers. The wipers work fine but when you pull back on the stalk to actuate the windshield wiper fluid nothing happens. I tend to think that on a 10 year old car most likely a $38 dollar pump would fail. How could I check it to make sure?

Al Gray

Al,

Check the connector to the washer pump. Make sure it's not loose or corroded. Then check the wire leads with multimeter. Make sure you are getting voltage to the pump. If you're getting votlage and pump doesn't work, pump is bad. If no voltage, check the relay # 4 in electronic box on the rear left side of engine compartment. Relay #4 is the far rear relay. Swap it with Relay # 9 (back-up light) which is located far forward to test if relay is bad or not. I doubt the switch is bad but is a possible.

Good luck,
    Rick

I located the fuses and checked all of them for the windshield washer pump, 49, 52, and 59. None were burned out. I can only conclude that either the washer pump is bad ($37.95 cost) or perhaps the switch is bad in the stalk that opertates the windshield wipers. The wipers work fine but when you pull back on the stalk to actuate the windshield wiper fluid nothing happens. I tend to think that on a 10 year old car most likely a $38 dollar pump would fail. How could I check it to make sure?

Al Gray
    RICK

Default Rick, Thanks for your suggestion.....

Al,

Check the connector to the washer pump. Make sure it's not loose or corroded. Then check the wire leads with multimeter. Make sure you are getting voltage to the pump. If you're getting votlage and pump doesn't work, pump is bad. If no voltage, check the relay # 4 in electronic box on the rear left side of engine compartment. Relay #4 is the far rear relay. Swap it with Relay # 9 (back-up light) which is located far forward to test if relay is bad or not. I doubt the switch is bad but is a possible.

Good luck,
    Rick
    Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will give it a try and let you know how things turn out.

Al Gray

Default Location of windshield washer pump

Al,

Good luck,
    Rick
    Rick,

Is the pump located near the washer fluid reservoir? I don't have a manuel yet or a diagram. What is the easiest way to access the windshield washer pump so that I can test it. I do have a multi-meter.

Al Gray

Yes, pump should be on the washer fluid reservoir and located on the bottom. I believe you need to access it from the bottom by removing bottom plastic cover. My E46 M3 might be slightly different compare to 323 but the washer fluid reservoir should be in same place.

Rick,

Is the pump located near the washer fluid reservoir? I don't have a manuel yet or a diagram. What is the easiest way to access the windshield washer pump so that I can test it. I do have a multi-meter.

Al Gray
    RICK

Default Rick, Thanks for your help.

Yes, pump should be on the washer fluid reservoir and located on the bottom. I believe you need to access it from the bottom by removing bottom plastic cover. My E46 M3 might be slightly different compare to 323 but the washer fluid reservoir should be in same place.

Rick,

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot. I have a multi-meter and I will do the tests first. I am pretty sure it is probably the washer pump.

Al Gray