GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bigwig at FCP actively monitors BMW boards

Default A bigwig at FCP actively monitors BMW boards

...I know that people have had bad experiences with FCP in the past, but it looks like they are really trying to change their perception. This attempt is separate from the one that shogun mentioned WRT the thrust arms. I won't say how, but It looks like they are making a genuine effort. Notwithstanding this, I've spent a lot of free time over the past 6+ years looking at BMW coilpacks with magnifying glasses, and will give you guys the straight scoop, and pull absolutely no punches about what they sent me when I get back to orlando and see them in person.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Yeah, I bought some cheaper "asian" noname brand lower control arms for my car about 2 years ago, now the ball joints have gone in them. For larger jobs I would only get oem quality from now on. it takes too much mucking around replacing components when they do go bad.

Even if FCP is improving their line of products, it hacks me off that they only guarantee their products if they are installed by a licensed mechanic. Unless you want to pay more for some kind of FCP documentation. What a load of crap. There are only two mechanics I trust with my Bimmer one is a licensed mechanic and a friend of mine the other is myself. My wife had a licensed mechanic at Midas install a cv joint in our Honda when we turned the corner it fell out. Come to find out this idiot burned the bearing and seal trying to get the old one out. So much for licensed mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Even if FCP is improving their line of products, it hacks me off that they only guarantee their products if they are installed by a licensed mechanic. Unless you want to pay more for some kind of FCP documentation. What a load of crap. There are only two mechanics I trust with my Bimmer one is a licensed mechanic and a friend of mine the other is myself. My wife had a licensed mechanic at Midas install a cv joint in our Honda when we turned the corner it fell out. Come to find out this idiot burned the bearing and seal trying to get the old one out. So much for licensed mechanics.
    Really?
    While I understand that some people ruin parts on installation that can be determined(sometimes)on inspection.
    My biggest objection to them WAS the prices are different depending on where you look, e-bay, their website, or if you call. It's like a damn Persian bazzar trying to ferret out a price. I'm pretty much done with them and Meyle since some E39 thrust arms quit in short order.
    I've been getting regular e-mails with discount offers from them and was tempted to try again.
    Since they also try to wiggle out of responsibility for the product they sell they can just sod off.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Yeah I installed Meyle arms about 2 years ago and they are showing signs of wear. I am thinking about Powerflex

Powerflex: my wrenching buddy had them on his Alpina B12 5.0 E32 and he removed them. his comments:
    the standard good suspension steering parts have rubber bushes or even rubber bushes filled with (hydraulic) oil (like the 750 engine mounts) for the purpose to act like a cushion between sus parts and body. In case there is no 'cushion' in between, the brutal force of all the shocks and vibrations goes directly onto the body parts and could leave some damage there on the long run.
    Makes sense for me, this explanation, I will not use this brutal hard stuff on my car, better have good quality parts with rubber cushions as intended originally by BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Powerflex: my wrenching buddy had them on his Alpina B12 5.0 E32 and he removed them. his comments:
    the standard good suspension steering parts have rubber bushes or even rubber bushes filled with (hydraulic) oil (like the 750 engine mounts) for the purpose to act like a cushion between sus parts and body. In case there is no 'cushion' in between, the brutal force of all the shocks and vibrations goes directly onto the body parts and could leave some damage there on the long run.
    Makes sense for me, this explanation, I will not use this brutal hard stuff on my car, better have good quality parts with rubber cushions as intended originally by BMW.
    Really? Bit odd, I've fitted them to pretty much all my bmws and never felt that there was more road noise/shock into the car...

Coincidentally I actually have a PFF5-601 spare set sat on my desk, just bending the bushing in my hands now after reading this. I wouldnt call the bushing's uncushioned, as they're not rock hard, they're more like just a harder version of rubber?

I imagine it'll wear the thrust arm balljoints out a little quicker as they're stiffer, but the trade off for sharper handling is well worth it imo.

Having said that, I'm not sure this set's going to be spare anymore after I've had to do two 100ft skids in 24 hours due to two cretins doing the exact same dangerous thing on the same piece of road. >: (

Ok then if not Meyle and not Powerflex then who makes a good bushing?

The consensus seems to be for Lemforder brand and the M5 or 750 type bushing.
    I've previously had good luck with Meyle but the last ones were crapola so I'll probably be joining in the Lemforder chorus.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Lemforder arms, Dinan bushings.

The Dinan bushings are rubber, but firmer rubber compound than stock. Should last longer than OE, yet not be as harsh as poly bushes.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=365&page=1

Only real downside is $62.50 each. Makes a CCA discount nice at the local Dinan dealer.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast