GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spark plug

Low mileage engine... can't be the engine... age is a factor so I would have to say it is the AFM.

Did you clean the ICV?

Quote Originally Posted by specialguess View Post
    still wants to stall at the traffic light.....can't find a leak in any of the intake hoses...what about that pipe that runs under the intake maifold to the engine block, will this cause my problem.
    Thanks
    need to find the source of the leak, sounds like everything else has been covered. The intake gasket could be leaking at the engine, spray carb cleaner in that area at idle. Without re-reading the whole thread did you pull the oil dipstick to see if it makes any change in idle quality? I'm still betting intake leak from the gasket due to age.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

finally got some warm weather and the car has been parked for the last month. So I decided to install the new parts I ordered: sump tube, o rings, washers and new spring. Here is what I found
    - no o ring in the top of the tube
    - no washers used at all
    - intake manifold gaskets worn
    - dip stick o ring worn

So now I am off to the dealer to pick up and intake gasket and a o ring for the dip stick tube.

is there anything I should look for while I have the intake manifold off the car?

Thanks

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ight=sump+tube

This link is what made me check out my intake tube
    1989 BMW 525 - M20--119,000.00-Original KM - now 5-speed

Of course, redo all the rubber under the manifold. Now is the time to tackle the stray vacuum leaks.

Have a gander at your intake valves, looking for differences valve-to-valve which will give you an idea about the health of your injectors.

Send the injectors for sonic cleaning? Replace their o-rings to prevent vacuum leaks...

See if the head gasket is leaking on that side (piece of mind).

Wash the engine compartment on that side. Remember, clean = fast!

I am stumpped still wants to stall at traffic lights....Should I consider the oil pump? this only happens when car is at operating temperatures....could it be a bad sensor that will make the car want to stall?

Any ideas will help....I have to goose the gas pedal at the lights to keep it running.

Question what makes the car run rich? I have an M20

Thanks

Fuel injection engine temperature sensor

AFM. Disconnect your AFM and see if it idles.

This is really getting frustraighting. I have changed my AFM with one I got from a parts car, I have changed almost everything on the top end of the engine (Intake gaskets, sensors, ICV, hoses, cps and I even changed the CPU) There has to be something I am missing or did I put in a bad sensor somewhere.

Here are my issues that I am having:

1 - every day issue - car will start fine drive it for 20 mins or so to get to opersting temperature and get to a stop light and it want's to shut off unless I hold the gas pedal at about 1200 - 1400 rpm, engine light and oil light flash until I gas it.

2 - once in awhile I will start the car and it dosen't want to rev pass 2200 rpm and sputters, engine light and emergency light comes on. and flashes.

I know you guys must be getting sick of me by now but any help on my issue will save me from taking the car to a mechanic an spend money that could be used for something else.

Thanks

1989 m20 - 121,000km

Did you clean and make sure the ICV moves freely? Not sure what sensor yet but thats a real big possibility after the ICV.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I did clean the ICV and I have a spare one aswell and they both react the same way.

After read the forum......could the fuel pump or system cause the problems I am having. I had the pump changed about 10 years ago, I did do the fuel filter in October

Thanks

I'd have say change out the fuel pump... you covered everything else.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123