GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have HID installed on your car?

Default Anyone here have HID installed on your car?

Just wondering how many have HID installed on your E34? If so, what brand do you have. Have they been reliable? I also heard on some cars + type of HID you have, you might get the light out message. And looks like there are several different fixes for this. If I get the error message, I'll add a resistor.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

since 2 years on my E32, chinese brand (RIMSA) as most come from China. Reliable, no problem. Converted from H1 55W to HID 35W 4300K.
    But 2 years is a long time in HID manufacturing technology, nowadays they offer HID conversion kits with 55W and they claim that there is no check control alarm when you start the car.
    I checked various LKM and CCM and found out that it also depends on brand and part number of the CCM maker. But it does not bother me to get 1 x a 'bong' and the alarm dip beams, it disappears after a few seconds. I could manipulate the stuff, but no need.
    As for the bulbs I would select
    4300K Extremely White
    6000K Brilliant White

55W there are a lot now on Ebay and I do not know if that eliminates the warning completely.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=HID...+e32&_osacat=0

but carefullly read the offers, sometimes $9.75 buy now and then the shipping cost is $75.00 or even more.
    I would prefer to buy from an honest guy who tells the real price for the goods and for shipping, not these tricks.

I have H1 55W installed, straight in with connector adaptors to go from 9500/9600 to H1 without cutting the stock wires, no resistors anywhere, no problems. The bulbs themselves are GE that I got from Canadian Tire.

Very nice lighting.

Thanks Shogun for the info. I purchased my HID kit from DDM Tuning and anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Price of HID kit came down considerably. I remember them being several hundred dollas few years ago and not to mention expensive factory option. I just hope the reliablity doesn't suffer do to the low cost. And every HID kit I've seem from low cost to midrange has been from China. And we all know about chinese stuff... I selected 8000k 55w for lows and 6000k 35w for the fogs. I wanted slight blue tint. Similar to my Xenons on my M3. Also I heard 55w version tend to fade the color to white since they are brighter. Example: 8000k 55w is equal to 6000k 35w in color but 8000k 55w is brighter. I'll see if I get this error or not. If I do, the fix seems to be an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    since 2 years on my E32, chinese brand (RIMSA) as most come from China. Reliable, no problem. Converted from H1 55W to HID 35W 4300K.
    But 2 years is a long time in HID manufacturing technology, nowadays they offer HID conversion kits with 55W and they claim that there is no check control alarm when you start the car.
    I checked various LKM and CCM and found out that it also depends on brand and part number of the CCM maker. But it does not bother me to get 1 x a 'bong' and the alarm dip beams, it disappears after a few seconds. I could manipulate the stuff, but no need.
    As for the bulbs I would select
    4300K Extremely White
    6000K Brilliant White

55W there are a lot now on Ebay and I do not know if that eliminates the warning completely.
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=HID...+e32&_osacat=0

but carefullly read the offers, sometimes $9.75 buy now and then the shipping cost is $75.00 or even more.
    I would prefer to buy from an honest guy who tells the real price for the goods and for shipping, not these tricks.
    RICK

DDM HID kit I purchased is plug and play. It comes with compatible connector for 9006 for lows and H1 for fogs so no wire cutting. Except if you need to fix the error... How long have you had them and what brand kit (including ballast)? Or are they from one of EBAY stores? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    I have H1 55W installed, straight in with connector adaptors to go from 9500/9600 to H1 without cutting the stock wires, no resistors anywhere, no problems. The bulbs themselves are GE that I got from Canadian Tire.

Very nice lighting.
    RICK

2001... Philips ballast and bulb. Cost a fortune. I also installed Hella black euro headlight at the same time too. So at that time it costed me about $1300 total.

Rick, it is very important that your headlight glass has no pits... otherwise, glare. It is those chips and pits that dramatically reduced the light output... not really the bulb.

Rick, I have had ddm 55w, 4500k 9006 style bulbs (i think) slim line HIDs on my 95 525i for about 14 months with no problems. All plug and play with no wire cutting.

Had the code issue and made a resistor fix with no wire cutting. Posted my experiences on how to fix with Radio Shack resistors on several BMW sites. DDMs BOW3 code eliminator would not work for me. Their BOW4 might work. it looks like others i have seen available from several on-line HID sites.
    Last edited by Russell; 12-29-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I got the slim 35watt DDM kit for my low beams. It works perfectly. I highly recommend it. Go with the 55watt though. I regret not getting that little extra kick from the extra 20 watts per bulb, though my car probably prefers the lower battery load it has now. Either way, it's gonna be at least 3 times brighter than halogen or those crappy silverstars. BTW, two sets of silverstars now cost as much as the DDM kit.

i have a kit from umnitza; which is very similar to the DDM kit.

installation was straight forward and no issue.

on my 02/93 525, i did indeed have the low beam out error; and that prevented the fogs from coming on.

i followed the instructions from this site and it worked perfectly.
    http://www.bbesound.com/bmw/HIDinstall/

my kit is a 55w setup (55w, 4300k), and it was well worth the time and cost. HID is so much cheaper now, it's almost a no-brainer upgrade on these older cars. as long as its installed as part of a complete kit (ie, lenses, etc.) there shouldn't be any issues.

i was very careful to align my lights after the install and actually aimed them just a tad low to avoid any issues with blinding others. i also installed headlight covers (film) at the same time to protect the lenses from pitting/etc.

i did this upgrade on the e34 after having done it on the e36, i really can't drive a car at night without HID anymore! it spoiled me!
    Last edited by shadowpuck; 12-30-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: added info

-- now, with 5 speeds!

Actually, a full Philips kit is just under $400

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show....php?p=1376417

While DDM is cheap (for folks in the U.S.), the quality is very hit or miss. They are the very reason HIDCanada got started (that, and horrible duty costs, esp warranty returns!).

http://hidcanada.com/store/index.php...age=page&id=15

Ok, I should stop tooting my own horn now

EDIT: For HID alternatives, these just can't be beat (free shipping too!)

http://www.powerbulbs.com/osram-nigh...at1=44&cat2=74

and

http://www.powerbulbs.com/philips-xt...at1=37&cat2=73

The Philips Xtreme Power are slightly better, but cost much more than the Osram Night Breakers... making the latter the best value.
    Last edited by Qube; 12-30-2009 at 02:38 AM.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast