GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Waterpump leaking..

Default Waterpump leaking..

I´ve got a coolant leak around under the waterpump just where the gasket is supposed to be and of course some driplets further down as well!

So what to do, change the (working) thermostat as well while I´m at it or just the waterpump?

Is there anything about removing the vibration damper (to gain access to the 2 lower pump bolts) that could cause me problems or is it straight forward?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Thermostat housing if you still have factory plastic housing.

The vibration damper pulley is easy and mandatory to remove... all those little bolts.

Default Replace everything while you are there....

It is an easy and straightforward job. I R&R'd my old water pump with a METAL impeller pump (don't buy a plastic impeller pump!), together with a new thermostat and an alloy thermostat cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    I´ve got a coolant leak around under the waterpump just where the gasket is supposed to be and of course some driplets further down as well!

So what to do, change the (working) thermostat as well while I´m at it or just the waterpump?

Is there anything about removing the vibration damper (to gain access to the 2 lower pump bolts) that could cause me problems or is it straight forward?

"Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post

Not a whole lot to it- Don't untighten the damper bolts the wrong way as the torque from your wrench will 'stretch' the damper and easily break it... don't ask me how I know that one

It may be worth replacing as they are a wear item- but I've never seen a bad one

Inspect the belt bearings for wear or (more likely) damage, make sure each have their protective covers installed too. Clean off the crank and cam sensors- and make sure the wires are well routed... nnow I'm really scratching the bottom of the barrell.. (reverse clean the radiator fins with a high pressure hose maybe?)... LOL
    Last edited by genphreak; 12-29-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks guys!

dont need to remove the damper altho it will save time with one of the waterpump bolts. I think you only get 1/32 of a turn at a time with a wrench til its loose enough to turn with your fingers. Make sure the pipe running to the back of the engine dont pull off the back end or you could have a bigger job ahead of you. Pull easy and keep an eye on them pipes!
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 01-06-2010 at 09:08 PM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.