GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1994 525iT steering frozen at temperatures below 30

Default 1994 525iT steering frozen at temperatures below 30

I have a problem since 2 years with steering at lower temperatures (below freezing). When the car starts in the morning steering is very stiff and hard to manage, almost if there were no power steering at all. Then after 5 miles driving the steering becomes slightly better, after may be 10 or 15 miles it seems to be back to normal.
    I have exchanged the PS fluid and filter with no change.
    I also loosened the screw at the steering box slightly with no outcome at all.
    During spring summer and fall when temperatures are moderate above freezing I have no problem at all.
    Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Is it a bad steering box and what would cause freezing of the steering in the box?
    Martin

If below zero you may need non-standard fluid, but your car proabaly has LAD,no? What are you using? Are you running green CHF11S? The system takes some 2-3L (I think), how old is it? Have you checked the sintered filter in the resovoir for blokcages (it is easily replacable btw)?

If not all that, I've read about similar problems being from pipe restrictions someplace... that's right on the height adjusting valve sitting on the rear stabilizer bar. I don't think I have a link, you might need to keep hunting... sorry.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

My car doesn't have the rear height adjustment. I have regular struts in the car. My PS pump is simply feeding the steering box.
    I have changed the PS fluid 2 times now- using standard PS fluid- and also the filter. Non of that is causing the problem in my opinion. The problem is 100% temperature related and temperatures below 32 F are not uncommon in places in this country. I also believe there is no restriction in the lines.
    What are chances that the steering box is bad somehow. Does anyone have experience with operation of the steering box. What can cause the steering box 'freeze' at lower temperatures.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    If below zero you may need non-standard fluid, but your car proabaly has LAD,no? What are you using? Are you running green CHF11S? The system takes some 2-3L (I think), how old is it? Have you checked the sintered filter in the resovoir for blokcages (it is easily replacable btw)?

If not all that, I've read about similar problems being from pipe restrictions someplace... that's right on the height adjusting valve sitting on the rear stabilizer bar. I don't think I have a link, you might need to keep hunting... sorry.

Hi,

probably not that much help, but I experience exactly the same thing with my M50 525 at temps lower than 4C. One other thing I think is happening is that my vanos is not working which I believe gives me less torque at tick over to the extent it's possible to almost stall the engine by making sharp input on the steering. This is probably irelevent though.

sal

Sal
    You are the first one saying that you have the same problem! Thanks
    Vanos and Power Steering are not directly related. I guess my Vanos is not working properly either (it is making 'the noise' and rings haven't been exchanged yet- I am planning to reman Vanos next year).For the frozen steering my guess is still that the steering box is not working properly.
    Is there anyone who knows about the steering box. Can the steering box be resealed or remanufactured somehow?
    Martin

and
    Quote Originally Posted by sal_park View Post
    Hi,

probably not that much help, but I experience exactly the same thing with my M50 525 at temps lower than 4C. One other thing I think is happening is that my vanos is not working which I believe gives me less torque at tick over to the extent it's possible to almost stall the engine by making sharp input on the steering. This is probably irelevent though.

sal

Sounds like your PS fluid is too thick at cold temps. Have you been putting synthetic PS fluid in?

Seems like the PS pump isn't able to push enough fluid through the system when it's really cold out. I'd first try to find a different PS fluid that's thinner at lower temps, most likely a synth fluid (not CHF11S as that's synth hydraulic fluid).

Or you could need a new PS pump.

Did your touring originally have SLS and it was partially deleted? Meaning do you have an SLS PS pump rather than a regular PS pump, but the SLS has been disabled?
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

It does sound like the wrong PS fluid or a failing PS pump to me.

sal_park: When you say, the engine just about stalls, do you mean that putting heavy load on the power steering system causes the engine idle to drop? If so, once you've stopped turning the wheel, does it jump back up and waver for a few seconds before it finds the normal 600-700 RPM spot? If so, mine does that from time to time as well and I haven't heard any odd VANOS noises. I always figures it was a vacuum leak causing that. hmmmm.

Default Do you have Pentosin or ATF in your PS??

Hi Martin,

Just a quick question : Is your system Pentosin or ATF?
    Just asking in case you may have mixed it up!! It has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by werminghausen View Post
    I have a problem since 2 years with steering at lower temperatures (below freezing). When the car starts in the morning steering is very stiff and hard to manage, almost if there were no power steering at all. Then after 5 miles driving the steering becomes slightly better, after may be 10 or 15 miles it seems to be back to normal.
    I have exchanged the PS fluid and filter with no change.
    I also loosened the screw at the steering box slightly with no outcome at all.
    During spring summer and fall when temperatures are moderate above freezing I have no problem at all.
    Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Is it a bad steering box and what would cause freezing of the steering in the box?
    Martin
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Hi
    I have changed PS fluid 2 times after I had the problem. I put synthetic PS fluid in and I have synthetic in right now. I am pretty sure that the problem is not caused by the fluid ...or my synthetic fluid sucks... but I doubt it.
    If people are saying it is the PS pump..what can cause the pump working less efficient in cold temperatures? Martin

Quote Originally Posted by philbyil View Post
    Hi Martin,

Just a quick question : Is your system Pentosin or ATF?
    Just asking in case you may have mixed it up!! It has happened before.

I am having synthetic PS fluid in - from Autzone..may be Valvoline.
    But after changing the old nasty fluid to new one there was no difference. The problem still exists.
    Is there a thinner PS fluid? Typically PS fluid is very 'thin' no matter if synthetic or not..
    New pump: what could cause the pump doing such thing at lower temperatures? I don't min changing the pump...but what if it doesn't change anything?
    Who else has the same problem?
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Sounds like your PS fluid is too thick at cold temps. Have you been putting synthetic PS fluid in?

Seems like the PS pump isn't able to push enough fluid through the system when it's really cold out. I'd first try to find a different PS fluid that's thinner at lower temps, most likely a synth fluid (not CHF11S as that's synth hydraulic fluid).

Or you could need a new PS pump.

Did your touring originally have SLS and it was partially deleted? Meaning do you have an SLS PS pump rather than a regular PS pump, but the SLS has been disabled?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast