GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M60s and alternators

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng View Post
    If you have pulled the alternator as many times as I have you won't complain as much. The trick? Remove the power steering pump pulley and drop the alternator to the floor.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1364995
    the power steering unit even if removed would not have made the clearance on my car. The rules and instructions seem to be car by car. No way the alt would have made it out the bottom.

Yes it had the mass plastic deal which is like a log into a fireplace too small.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    the power steering unit even if removed would not have made the clearance on my car. The rules and instructions seem to be car by car. No way the alt would have made it out the bottom.

Yes it had the mass plastic deal which is like a log into a fireplace too small.
    Do not argue with sucessuful repair experience. Have you tried it? Why don't you try it and argue your point?
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Do not argue with sucessuful repair experience. Have you tried it? Why don't you try it and argue your point?
    trying to quit... arguing over a moot point is, well.. moot.

Have a great holiday!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I think you need an ice cold beer jeff

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Don't feel bad. I went through no less trouble than you did. Initially I fished the alternator from the top between the engine and the radiator scratching the radiator fins and my knuckle pretty badly. After a couple of times I found a less painful way. It is still a PITA. Just a little less so.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/500521/

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/370372/

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/189257/
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    As frustrating as this may have been for you it made for an excellent read!

I'm on my 3rd battery in less than 3 years
    Tim i don't remember what you reported about that but is it a higher drain current then normal that you have and did'nt succeed to spot ? Or a regulated voltage not high enough when the engine is running ? Or ... the worst case : Still a mystery ?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Tim i don't remember what you reported about that but is it a higher drain current then normal that you have and did'nt succeed to spot ? Or a regulated voltage not high enough when the engine is running ? Or ... the worst case : Still a mystery ?
    it's worst case but I think I am getting closer... I stopped killing batteries once I started watching obc test09 on a regular basis. I am working on chapter 18 ("Sisyphus vs the E-box") of 'charge trek' at the moment.

(preview)
    Recently I bought a little ammeter gauge and rigged it up to the alternator charge wire. Just the engine running everything else off I am drawing 30 amps on a fully charged battery, which I think is maybe a lot for just the essentials. The alternator will give me up to 65 amps at idle which I think is what a decent alternator should give.

Anyway, I kind of nosed around diagrams looking for what would be drawing current while just the engine is running and most stuff points to this

where F,L,and J go to things like the fuel pump and injectors and critical stuff like that.

So then the other day when it was really cold I noticed (because I'm always watching the voltage) a sudden voltage drop right when I shifted out of park... and I can't remember which diagrams I was looking at but the electronic transmission control seemed to point toward the dme also.

So then I posted this.

I have ordered a main relay ($16) and when I get the chance I'm going to look at all the power connections around the E-box like the fusible link and as far as I can tell the main connection is underneath the relays or the DME box. It might be a while before I have a chance (read feel like) going there seeing as I live in a frozen wasteland and it gets dark at 4. Besides, I discovered today (since I am already rambling now) I have bigger problems - my ds carpet is soaking wet (aaargh that is the worst thing in this climate) - it's not the sun roof drains... aaargh.

Anyways - thanks for asking! I'll go chime in on the Xmas thread now - Yeah Jeff, you thought YOU had problems.

Spelling must be difficult for you, but it's okay I can still read it.

Not arguing with your experience but a few things I noticed along the way. theres the battery to the alternator that runs under the intake that 'on my car' looks like it takes a hit over time. Looks squished yet fundamentally intact.

I don't know how the wires are routed behind the alternator, they just shove back into the birthing hole or perhaps escape to bake on the exhaust area? Like you say perhaps as I said the Batt lead has some corrosion going on compromising it's condition?

Just a shot man, awaiting a personal attack reply.

been here done this,
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I don't quite understand your question. But here is a few thousand words reply.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Excellent! Not that I want to rush out and pull the intake again, my power wire crosses over the water tube around the middle. Have no little yellow wire holders either. I see how this is supposed to go and will try to route the wire like that next time.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12