GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk About Some Glass!

Default Lets Talk About Some Glass!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to get some feedback

My windshield has a large crack in it and needs to be replaced...luckily my insurance will cover the bad boy for a 250 deductible

the company that my local BMW told them to go is called APEX Glass

not sure if anyone has heard of this but please give me some feedback if you have!

oh and was wondering if it would be cheaper if i go through the insurance or pay out of pocket?
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Safelite said $257 to replace your windshield. So, if you are getting OEM Sigla windshield, then it is worth going through insurance. If you are getting generic like Safelite, then you might as well pay out of your pocket.... insurance pay you $7 and increase your premium? Not worth it. However, there are alot of extras you need to complete the windshield install... clips and trims.

See what Apex will give you... if they can get you Sigla through insurance and $250. Go for it... remember there is alot of clips must be replaced and trims.. Get the full figure from Apex.

Some E34 owners is happy with generic glued on trims... they look close enough and work great.

There's more glass companies that make OE glass than just Sigla.

PPG, Sekurit, & Pilkington all make OE glass. And I'm thinking that someone else does as well. Just can't think of them off hand right now.

You should certainly find out what all you're going to get from Apex. Like Tiger said if you can get an OE windshield, all of the clips & trim, and have it all done properly then doing it through your insurance w/Apex is probably a decent deal.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

If you look around you'll find several posts/rants of mine regarding windshield replacements.
    The number one problem is that installers don't use the correct clips to retain the moldings or completely discard the moldings in favor of a "universal fit"(my ass) flexible rubber and glue the whole stinkin' mess in place. If the moldings are temporarily taped in place when the installer leaves this is the reason.
    There is a channel around the glass to allow drainage, when you block it with all the goop they use water and dirt accumulate and rust forms in the cowl which is the worst place to have it.
    You will need to fight long and hard with most insurance companies to make them fork over nearly $800 to do it correctly* as they are accustomed to paying about a fourth the price for a quick and dirty job.
    * Aftermarket glass does not have the clips(seldom reuseable) that retain the factory moldings and usually doesn't fit the countour of the opening as well. New moldings cost near $400 alone. If the moldings are currently glued in place their desrtuction is assured on removal.
    Last edited by Ross; 12-10-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default Windscreen insurance

I have to pay the first £75 if my screen gets smashed and it doesnt affect my no claims (its protected anyway but thats another matter). The insurance company appoint a repairer and when the job is done I give them £75. The insurance pays the balance-whatever it may be. I have to sign for the repair and certainly wouldnt do that if the repairer did a crap job or broke any of the clips or trim and didnt replace them.
    If the glass is just chipped the insurance pays for the repair and I pay nothing.

Must be having a stupid day but is USD 250 all you would get? I reckon the tinted screen would be about £250 without fitting

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Safelite said $257 to replace your windshield. So, if you are getting OEM Sigla windshield, then it is worth going through insurance. If you are getting generic like Safelite, then you might as well pay out of your pocket.... insurance pay you $7 and increase your premium? Not worth it. However, there are alot of extras you need to complete the windshield install... clips and trims.

See what Apex will give you... if they can get you Sigla through insurance and $250. Go for it... remember there is alot of clips must be replaced and trims.. Get the full figure from Apex.

Some E34 owners is happy with generic glued on trims... they look close enough and work great.
    Okay so im pretty sure that these bastards are going to slap some glass in and glue it in

When i asked the lady at the Apex if they will order the molding she said that my car doesnt come with molding and that they were going to use a clear epoxy or some ****....and she made a big deal about it being clear like its a magic thing!

now im pissed cause i feel im getting ripped off by my insurance

they said that they have a ball park of what they pay for a job and if its bove the average then i have to pay out of pocket!

sorry for my french but **** TRAVLERS!!!

AAA was the BEST!
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

I don't care what insurance it is... AAA has always been the most expensive insurance... why pay that? Just because by chance your windshield will crack?

Sounds like Apex is not a good choice. but you can fault that sales lady... she may be a new employee trying to earn a living.

Try this search... I came up with $200 installed. If your mouldings are in good shape, just go buy the clips at the dealer and have the glass installer put them in. If you can, watch the guy as he work. Installers are hard worker and they do so many cars so they appreciate anything to make their job easier.

http://www.windshields.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    If you look around you'll find several posts/rants of mine regarding windshield replacements.
    The number one problem is that installers don't use the correct clips to retain the moldings or completely discard the moldings in favor of a "universal fit"(my ass) flexible rubber and glue the whole stinkin' mess in place. If the moldings are temporarily taped in place when the installer leaves this is the reason.
    There is a channel around the glass to allow drainage, when you block it with all the goop they use water and dirt accumulate and rust forms in the cowl which is the worst place to have it.
    You will need to fight long and hard with most insurance companies to make them fork over nearly $800 to do it correctly* as they are accustomed to paying about a fourth the price for a quick and dirty job.
    * Aftermarket glass does not have the clips(seldom reuseable) that retain the factory moldings and usually doesn't fit the countour of the opening as well. New moldings cost near $400 alone. If the moldings are currently glued in place their desrtuction is assured on removal.
    I agree. Advance Auto broke my windshield replacing the wiper blades. Don't ask. They wanted to do a Safelite generic replacement and I held out for an OE bmw windshield with the proper clips. They reused the trim. The cost was about $500 in 2003. At that time I knew nothing aout the clips or the cost of the trim. I feel lucky. Insist on a qulaity repair. No generic parts!
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I agree. Advance Auto broke my windshield replacing the wiper blades. Don't ask. They wanted to do a Safelite generic replacement and I held out for an OE bmw windshield with the proper clips. They reused the trim. The cost was about $500 in 2003. At that time I knew nothing aout the clips or the cost of the trim. I feel lucky. Insist on a qulaity repair. No generic parts!
    ahhhhh finally after yelly screaming and just asking for the manager i got almost what i wanted!

I got the glass Securine (spelling?) will all the OEM clip, mounts and center chrome clip from the dealer for 250 bucks without having my premium going up a cent!

I wanted the original BMW glass with the logo and all but I hear that securine makes glass for BMW just without the logo!

Hopefully thats a good deal cause if not im gonna feel like poop!

Securit... from Apex?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast