GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: uh oh....left over parts

Default uh oh....left over parts

So, I took out the trunk button assembly to clean and grease it and when I put it back together, I still had a tiny spring and a super tiny ball bearing on my work table. Can anyone remember where those two miniscule items go? The button seems to work fine without them, but I'm sure there's a good reason for these little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    So, I took out the trunk button assembly to clean and grease it and when I put it back together, I still had a tiny spring and a super tiny ball bearing on my work table. Can anyone remember where those two miniscule items go? The button seems to work fine without them, but I'm sure there's a good reason for these little pieces.
    I remember a spring but no ball.... might want to rebuild it again but this time with no grease.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I swear they weren't there before I took it apart

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    I remember a spring but no ball.... might want to rebuild it again but this time with no grease.
    The spring was about half the size of what you'd find in a ballpoint pen. Is that the one you remember?

I do plan to rebuild it, since I damaged one of the plastic grommet things too. What should I use instead of grease?

Is this the ball and spring, from inside the lockbarrel?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

I can't get a good idea of scale in that pic, but I think the spring I have is quite a bit shorter. That definitely looks nothing like my trunk button assembly. Thanks for the attempt, though.

BennyM

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Is this the ball and spring, from inside the lockbarrel?

Actually the pic is of a front door lock barrel thats why the proportions are mismatched Did you take the lock apart? If you did the spring and ball goes inside the barrel in a similar position!
    Check this for hints: http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/0...el-replacement.

If you didnīt take the lock apart Iīm bewildered too..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bo525i; 12-10-2009 at 05:53 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

I took apart the outer lock that, which consists mainly of a larger spring, maybe an inch in diameter. I did not take apart the inner lock cylinder/silver button, which is where I assume a tiny spring and ball like that would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    Actually the pic is of a front door lock barrel thats why the proportions are mismatched Did you take the lock apart? If you did the spring and ball goes inside the barrel in a similar position!
    Check this for hints: http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/0...el-replacement.

If you didnīt take the lock apart Iīm bewildered too..

my goodness I thought you were talking about the trunk key lock, no wonder I had no idea what this was...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

If you take something apart enough times, pretty soon you'll have enough left over parts to make 2 of them.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!