GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got LED?

Default Got LED?

So I have see LED this LED that and was wondering if anyone has used any LED 9006 or 9005 bulbs for their driving lights?

I know they look brighter but do they have the same lumen put out as the silverstars for example

Do they have the same distance output

any info would help

thanks!
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

I've played around with LEDs quite a bit, but I've never heard of a 9006 LED bulb. I doubt it would be bright enough. To use LEDs in headlights properly, you really need to redesign the whole headlight with different optics, otherwise, you're right, the light will not go very far. Silverstars, by the way, are a poor substitute for HID which is by far the brightest option, uses less energy, and costs as much as two sets of Silverstars now.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    I've played around with LEDs quite a bit, but I've never heard of a 9006 LED bulb. I doubt it would be bright enough. To use LEDs in headlights properly, you really need to redesign the whole headlight with different optics, otherwise, you're right, the light will not go very far. Silverstars, by the way, are a poor substitute for HID which is by far the brightest option, uses less energy, and costs as much as two sets of Silverstars now.
    yea i want to get true HID lights on the car but they are just soooo expensive...i figure if i go with a set that is 100 im buying crap

unless anyone knows of anything
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    yea i want to get true HID lights on the car but they are just soooo expensive...i figure if i go with a set that is 100 im buying crap

unless anyone knows of anything
    $100 gets you a good set - not sure what your concern is about them.
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Default Agreed

$100 spent on the DDM HID kit is definitely money well spent. I've had my 4500ks for a while now and haven't had even the slightest issue. I used to have silverstars, and replaced them so many times that I actually could have
    purchased the DDM kit a while ago. Overall, the vast majority of comments on the DDM kits are positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post

DDM tuning http://www.ddmtuning.com/catalog/HID_Lighting-54-1.html has them 35w for about $50 to $70. Mine (55w, 4500k) were $90 including shipping a year ago. No problems.
    Last edited by Russell; 12-02-2009 at 06:29 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I even bought a HID conversion kit 2 1/2 years ago from China, when they were still expensive. No problem at all, I would always buy such a set again. Nowadays they are much cheaper as mentioned above, I still paid about $200 then.
    Less than $100 nowadays is no problem, and also parts for replacement are now quite cheap if something breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    I have heard that the cheap ones have issues with the Box thing (not sure what its called...distributor?)

I was going to shop from DDM but was doing some research and read a lot about how the owner is a fraud and a cheat and steals designs...granted I dont believe these as i do not have adequate evidence but it sure put a sour taste in my mouth

Going back to the whole LED thing

I want to change my tail lights (all of them) from the filament to the LED...

I am simply doing this because were I live it gets foggy at night and any increase in brightness i feel will increase my safety..

Now will i see a difference? is it worth it? any brands or ebayer sellers have good quality products

any info would help!

thanks guys ya'll are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    Going back to the whole LED thing

I want to change my tail lights (all of them) from the filament to the LED...

I am simply doing this because were I live it gets foggy at night and any increase in brightness i feel will increase my safety..

Now will i see a difference? is it worth it? any brands or ebayer sellers have good quality products

any info would help!

thanks guys ya'll are the best!

Sorry but one more question

whats the difference between the SMD LED and the LED LIGHT BULBS?

thanks again! =)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast