GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock cover is missing from driver's side door - did someone try to break in?

Default Lock cover is missing from driver's side door - did someone try to break in?

After parking the car in the street all day - quiet, peaceful neighborhood, directly in front of a neighbor's house - my gf came home to find the car unlocked and the cover for the locking mechanism missing.

Now - the handle is still there, undamaged, nothing taken from the car, ignition not even scratched - but the cover for where you insert the key is just missing.

I tried to find it on the ground, but by the time she told me about what had happened, it was dark and I had to give up the search until tomorrow. I was hoping to find it and see if it had been forced off or not.

My question is - can this cover pop off on it's own? And by on it's own, I mean can it pop off due to use? If so, this is a high mileage car, I can see it possibly coming loose - although I have never had this happen on another vehicle.

My next question - can I replace it? Can I buy a cover that just snaps in over it? The lock still works fine, but I want to protect the mechanism from the elements, which I can't do without this cover.

Thanks to anyone who has the answers to these weird questions.

If you can't find your cover... look at the car to see if there is damage around that cover... Probably a good possibility that someone broke into your car and maybe you got nothing they want.

Yes, dealer has new cover... easy to install but you have to know how to lock it in... on the side of the door, there is a cover.hole in line with the upper part of the cover... shine a flashlight into it... you will see a level where you can push to release and pull to lock that cover in... you need a small hook to operate that level...

With the cover off... as you move the level in and out, you will see at the upper holes that it basically slide a plate into the hole area and away from it.

I called BavAuto and EuroDepot and they seemed convinced that I would have to replace the entire lock cylinder, for some reason. So there is a chance I can just replace the cover?

There's no damage around that cover, cash that was visible in the car is still there - it's weird. I honestly live in an ultra safe neighborhood, and this would have to have been done in broad daylight - the car was not in the street at night.

I will give the dealer a call and see what they say. Thanks very much for the information on how to replace it - I really, really don't want to replace the lock cylinder unnecessarily.

called the dealer - they can sell me the lock cylinder in its entirety, keyed to my car, for $68, but they can't sell just the cover

Strange! I actually ordered just the cover alone from dealer... a couple of years ago... let me see if I can source it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Strange! I actually ordered just the cover alone from dealer... a couple of years ago... let me see if I can source it...
    that would be AMAZING if you could! thanks!

AutohausAZ has it...

https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...le,%20Exterior

Call up dealer with this part number and see if they can get it.

DUDE! That's BMW OE parts!

tiger - what I am looking for is the metal piece that fits into the round hole in that cover in your link - the piece that is at the very top of the lock cylinder. that is what has popped off the car. it's the guard that keeps dirt and dust out of the cylinder itself.

Oh! You mean the keyhole slit cover... that the key push in to keep out dirt... Mmm... does that even come apart? I'll have to take a look at the extra locks I have. Yes, I got spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Oh! You mean the keyhole slit cover... that the key push in to keep out dirt... Mmm... does that even come apart? I'll have to take a look at the extra locks I have. Yes, I got spare parts.
    yes exactly - if that could be replaced, I would love to buy one off of you. I called around, but no one will sell me anything other than the entire ignition lock. I even tried to find broken locks just so I could replace that piece, if possible, and everyone was like 'we don't keep broken parts around' - which I understand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast