Well, the weather in my part of the world was stunning today so I took advantage of the nice day to replace the burnt out bulb on my HVAC control panel.

Ever since we bought the car, the temperature knobs and fan control knob were dark. It's definitely something you can do without, but I finally found the motivation to replace the bulb!

I'm also well aware that this has been posted before, but thought I'd share how I was able to do it without removing the radio or disconnecting any control cables. For me, doing this without removing the radio was important because I don't have the right tools for the aftermarket head unit in the car.

Early production e34's may require a slightly different path to replace this bulb. I was able to do this without removing the control panel from the car.

Let's get started...

First, remove the the side panel nearest the steering wheel. In this photo, its already been removed. You can remove the side panel with a screw driver placed about middle of the panel. Also, remove the control knobs by simply pulling each one toward you.

Then insert a screwdriver through the hole and use it to lever out the AC/Defrost/Recirculation control panel. The control panel has already been removed in this photo.

Next, to pop out the HVAC control panel, just use your hand as shown in the next photo. The panel should pop right out.

You will need to remove three screws and one plug to remove the faceplace enough to reach the bulb. In the picture below, there's a screw on your right, your left, and below your left. The plug is located on the left of the photo. You do not have to remove the most visible screw in the picture.

Space is tight, but there should be enough wiggle room to maneuver everything out of the way to disconnect the faceplace from the control panel. The bulb to be replaced is located front and center and can be pulled out with a small pliers or even by hand.

Install the new bulb using a towel or gloves as you do not want to contaminate the bulb.

At this point, I reconnected the two-prong power cable for the bulb and tested to make sure it worked.

Installation, is, as they say, the reverse of disassembly.

I used an inspection mirror to assist with the installation of the 3rd screw.
Before reinstalling the control panel, make sure the connecter is in place to reinstall
the AC/Defrost/Recirculate panel.

I was surprised at how easy this was, definitely beats replacing the cabin filter!