GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk release button...

Default Trunk release button...

Recently, my trunk release button on the trunk seemed to get stuck a lot. I tried WD40 and other lubricant but only last for very short time before it gets stuck again. Do I need to take this apart and clean it from inside or is there a specific lubricant I can use that will last longer?
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

WD40 ...WD stands for water displacement. It is not a lubricant or a cleaner. You need electric contact cleaner for switches.

Liquid wrench dry lube... I advise you to Inspect the little White Plastic insert into which the trigger rod fits that the Button operates. On mine that white plastic insert broke and allowed the rod to come loose. I was unable to open my trunk and had to resort to breaking in thru the ski opening plate. It was an emergency situation. I had the trunk full of Boxed IV Drugs for a pharmacy/customer's patient and therefore couldn't push the rear liner away to reach to the Trunk Latch. I had to first Sawz All away the trunk liner after tearing out the ski hole opening plate before I could get some extended reach tool I fabricated to open it from inside...
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

The lock probably isn't the issue but the grommet around the button is. Some of the silicone lube used for brake parts should help.
    The lock can be cleaned out just fine with WD40(or contact cleaner) but as stated it's not a very good lubricant. Graphite powder is best for locks, but clean them first.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I also think it is the grommet around the button. I'll try cleaning that first and try few different silicone lube to see if that work better.
    RICK

I ended up taking mine apart, it got so bad that it wouldn't come out at all. It was a simple process once I figured out how the puzzle went.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I think I'll just lub it for now and wait for the warmer weather to figure out the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    I ended up taking mine apart, it got so bad that it wouldn't come out at all. It was a simple process once I figured out how the puzzle went.
    RICK

I cleaned my trunk lock button with wd-40 then used a graphite lubricant. Then used Tri-flow lubricant (works on guns) on the lock mechanism (also sprayed w4-40 on first) in the trunk. Then I did the same for the other door locks. Seemed to resolve some central locking issues i had with the passenger door not locking.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Trunk release? is that that plastic handle on newer E34s?

Not the grommet I just found out.
    The grommet doesn't contact the lock button.
    The housing the lock made of is potmetal and corrodes. The crud collects on the pushbutton and the bore of the housing swells as it corrodes.
    Disassembly and some cleaning are all that is needed, just did one.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast