GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mileage at GM 525i auto trany failure?

Default Mileage at GM 525i auto trany failure?

What was the mileage when your GM based automatic transmission failed? Mine is a 95 525i with 177,000 miles and is just now starting to show some possible issues such as very light pendulum shift. Slight reverse delay if left for 3-4 days. Also seems strained a bit when taking off.

I have always changed the fluid and filter every 30,000 or so miles.

I am also interested in what symptoms you experienced as a reference

No conversion to manual here. If needed I will my Indy replace the transmission with a high quality rebuilt unit. No one locally here in Lexington, KY can repair/rebuild it.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Doesn't '95 have lifetime trans fluid? LOL! I changed trans fluid @ 75k miles and currently @ 155k miles and do for another trans fluid change. No issues for far. Knock on wood... Maybe your car is low on trans fluid? Since there is no trans dipstick, you will need to add to some from the bottom to check...

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    What was the mileage when your GM based automatic transmission failed? Mine is a 95 525i with 177,000 miles and is just now starting to show some possible issues such as very light pendulum shift. Slight reverse delay if left for 3-4 days. Also seems strained a bit when taking off.

I have always changed the fluid and filter every 30,000 or so miles.

I am also interested in what symptoms you experienced as a reference

No conversion to manual here. If needed I will my Indy replace the transmission with a high quality rebuilt unit. No one locally here in Lexington, KY can repair/rebuild it.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Default Mine does not have lifetime fluid.

Perhaps because it it a 1/95 build. Perhaps later 95s did have lifetime fluid.

Mine used Dexron III now replaced by Dexron VI. It is due for a service so it may be a bit low.
    Last edited by Russell; 11-20-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

anyone that knows how to rebuild an automatic transmission can rebuild your unit, it is relatively simple. it came in a number of more popular vehicles, including the isuzu trooper and rodeo. if you/your indy don't trust anyone around there, though, i guess that is a different story. if you've kept up on the maintenence like you said you have, and keep the level right, i doubt that you'd have to consider a rebuild before 200k. i'd provide a shop with a copy of the pendulum tsb and see what they would want for performing the repair.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    anyone that knows how to rebuild an automatic transmission can rebuild your unit, it is relatively simple. it came in a number of more popular vehicles, including the isuzu trooper and rodeo. if you/your indy don't trust anyone around there, though, i guess that is a different story. if you've kept up on the maintenence like you said you have, and keep the level right, i doubt that you'd have to consider a rebuild before 200k. i'd provide a shop with a copy of the pendulum tsb and see what they would want for performing the repair.
    I appreciate what you say about any shop rebuilding the trany. However, i hear over and over on various boards the the GM trany does not rebuild easily. Not sure where i saaw them at the moment. Good point regarding the pendulum tsb.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    Ryan is most certainly correct. The trans is essentially a TurboHydramatic 200 with another planetary gearset added up front for the fourth speed.
    Once a domestic trans guy sees one he'll say "Oh yeah I know this one".
    I always wondered about controlling that front planetary set to get a six speed box. I'm surprised it wasn't done.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Unfortunatly, I have had three BMw independent shops state that there were no local shops that can reliably rebuild BMW transmissions.
    Thanks,

Good thing its a strassbourg gm transmission then instead of a bmw transmission.....Same trans is used in a number of cars including the isuzu rodeo.... Lots of shops can rebuild them with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Unfortunatly, I have had three BMw independent shops state that there were no local shops that can reliably rebuild BMW transmissions.

I have the same problems, (worse reverse though), looking at http://www.europeantransmissions.com/ to possibly buy a rebuilt unit from here
    (no site affiliation)
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    Good thing its a strassbourg gm transmission then instead of a bmw transmission.....Same trans is used in a number of cars including the isuzu rodeo.... Lots of shops can rebuild them with no problems
    Bill, I am not confident any transmission shop in my area can rebuild the GM transmission. I have had 3 independent BMW repair shops state no one in their area can reliabily rebuild the GM trany. I am puzzled over the difference of opinion.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast