GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Which car has the best overall build and quality for the price.

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002-2004 BMW 745i

1 6.67%
  • 2003 540i M Sport

12 80.00%
  • 2004-2005 530i

2 13.33%
  • 2004-2006 330ci (non zhp)

2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Yet another question for all my fellow e34ers =)

Default Yet another question for all my fellow e34ers =)

I was wondering which one of these cars are a better built car overall? I have had the beast for seems to be 9 years and have loved every second of it but I kind of want to upgrade being that the interest rates are soooo low and people are basically giving their cars away.

Please pick your choices from the poll

Give info about the car(s) if you know anything
    goods...bads....

Thanks
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

I'd stay away from the E65 in those years. A bit problematic for the first year or two. Wouldn't touch the E60 from the first year or two either.

Why not go for a nice '01 740i Sport?
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Early E65 and E60 have many electrical issues. But both have solid feel, good build quality, and definitely refined. However, I could never get either because both look ugly! IMO... E46 330 would be a blast to drive out of these 4 cars plus better gas mileage. But build quality is bit flimsy. Try opening the door or feel and hear the creaks from cheap interior trims. I heard E39 had its little share of electrical issues but everyone I know who has or had one never did out of ordinary. And being last year of E39, I'm sure most fixes were ironed out. I did test drive 2003 540i M and I liked it very much. It felt very solid, handled extremely well for heavier car, and had plenty of power. At least it felt that way... Body style is aging but still looks great. No doubt that I would get 6 speed if E39 540i M.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    Early E65 and E60 have many electrical issues. But both have solid feel, good build quality, and definitely refined. However, I could never get either because both look ugly! IMO... E46 330 would be a blast to drive out of these 4 cars plus better gas mileage. But build quality is bit flimsy. Try opening the door or feel and hear the creaks from cheap interior trims. I heard E39 had its little share of electrical issues but everyone I know who has or had one never did out of ordinary. And being last year of E39, I'm sure most fixes were ironed out. I did test drive 2003 540i M and I liked it very much. It felt very solid, handled extremely well for heavier car, and had plenty of power. At least it felt that way... Body style is aging but still looks great. No doubt that I would get 6 speed if E39 540i M.
    yea im leaning towards the 2003 as well...

last year produced so the kinks are (hopefully) worked out
    love the look of them...classic BMW
    plenty of power for me

the only reason i'm a little hesitant is that
    a) people think they are worth more than they really are so they want $20 for a used with 80k WTF!!!
    b) the electrical problem...

and

c) my ex gf has a 1999 528i and it seems that all the buttons inside are falling from the consul...WTF...did that get fixed or changed?
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    i'd stay away from the e65 in those years. A bit problematic for the first year or two. Wouldn't touch the e60 from the first year or two either.

Why not go for a nice '01 740i sport?
    +1

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Yes, I agree. Price for 2003 540i M is bit overly optimistic. For that price, you are in the reach of E39 M5. But with E39 M5, maintenance cost will be higher and lousy gas mileage. Which buttons are you preferring to? Climate control or radio? I noticed the cup holder tend the break very easily on E39.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    yea im leaning towards the 2003 as well...

last year produced so the kinks are (hopefully) worked out
    love the look of them...classic BMW
    plenty of power for me

the only reason i'm a little hesitant is that
    a) people think they are worth more than they really are so they want $20 for a used with 80k WTF!!!
    b) the electrical problem...

and

c) my ex gf has a 1999 528i and it seems that all the buttons inside are falling from the consul...WTF...did that get fixed or changed?
    RICK

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    I'd stay away from the E65 in those years. A bit problematic for the first year or two. Wouldn't touch the E60 from the first year or two either.

Why not go for a nice '01 740i Sport?
    +2

Just a little biased since we found this '01 example under $8k
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, I agree. Price for 2003 540i M is bit overly optimistic. For that price, you are in the reach of E39 M5. But with E39 M5, maintenance cost will be higher and lousy gas mileage. Which buttons are you preferring to? Climate control or radio? I noticed the cup holder tend the break very easily on E39.
    I want to say both...but I know the climate ones for sure...cause it was a hot day in california and we were looking for the up arrow for the fan (AC) and couldnt find it so we tried it all; pens, clips, forks, etc! haha

but I do have to say that when I drove the car its a lot different than the e34...much smoother and tamed...i feel as though the e34 is more raw and mechanical

haven't got into the e39 540iM thought...i fear that i'll want it or hate it!

and as far as the M5 goes....I love those cars...maybe even a dream car but its not worth the tickets and costs =/

Those parts are inexpensive to replace since you can find them for next to nothing from ebay, craigslist, and such. Try replacing iDrive or one of its component on newer BMW...

I think you will like E39 540i M. I definitely did!

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    I want to say both...but I know the climate ones for sure...cause it was a hot day in california and we were looking for the up arrow for the fan (AC) and couldnt find it so we tried it all; pens, clips, forks, etc! haha

but I do have to say that when I drove the car its a lot different than the e34...much smoother and tamed...i feel as though the e34 is more raw and mechanical

haven't got into the e39 540iM thought...i fear that i'll want it or hate it!

and as far as the M5 goes....I love those cars...maybe even a dream car but its not worth the tickets and costs =/
    RICK

I think you will like E39 540i M. I definitely did!
    I guess now its all up to the right deal, the test drive and the color

Black on black

Or

That Gray on black ( http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540.htm )