GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Spring compressor question

Default Spring compressor question

Found this 'thing' locally and I'm wondering whether its for macpherson struts or not. Haven't spoken to the seller yet and can't figure it out exactly how it would work from the pic.

any guesses?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Spring compressor

Looks a lot like the item below, even down to the two yellow labels. The pic might give you a better idea how it works:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-QUALITY-HY...item588455c637

You already have a spring compressor:

Jack the control arm up to compress the spring, remove the wheel, thread high strength rope or ribbon up and down through the compressed spring coils all around, and tie it off properly. When the jack is relaxed, the spring will remain compressed by the strong rope.

If somehow the rope were to break, it would still slow the spring greatly as it expanded. That said, always treat a compressed spring with caution.

I've used this trick numerous times over the decades, with no ill effects. By threading high strength rope or ribbon up and down, all around the spring, the load will be distributed evenly and the spring will not cock off to one side. Multiple runs of the rope of say, 1K lb. capacity will be more than adequate to hold the spring whose compressive force is just a few hundred pounds. You could use chain similarly, but rope is easier.
    Dash01
    '90 535ia 272K miles

You guys do not have Autozone in your neighbohood? There is this thing called free tool rental in Autozone although I already have a pair of spring compressors in my garage.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Looks a lot like the item below, even down to the two yellow labels. The pic might give you a better idea how it works:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOP-QUALITY-HY...item588455c637
    Wow, good job. It does look exactly the same and gives me an idea of how it works.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dash01 View Post

Jack the control arm up to compress the spring, remove the wheel, thread high strength rope or ribbon up and down through the compressed spring coils all around, and tie it off properly. When the jack is relaxed, the spring will remain compressed by the strong rope.

If somehow the rope were to break, it would still slow the spring greatly as it expanded. That said, always treat a compressed spring with caution.

I've used this trick numerous times over the decades, with no ill effects. By threading high strength rope or ribbon up and down, all around the spring, the load will be distributed evenly and the spring will not cock off to one side. Multiple runs of the rope of say, 1K lb. capacity will be more than adequate to hold the spring whose compressive force is just a few hundred pounds. You could use chain similarly, but rope is easier.
    I'm not doing e34 suspension (already done ). This is on an Acura and I've already removed the cracked springs using the control arm method for removal. This vehicle's set-up is not condusive to using the control arm method safely for installation and rental units available don't fit the small diameter coils.

This thing is pretty cheap and much safer than rope. This is coming from someone that has used a tennis court chain link fence nd an adjacent building to lower a friend's Acura 15 years ago

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Tools of choice

I've used a ratchet strap to take out an engine and gearbox. Then again it WAS rated at 7 tonnes But bits of rope and chain link fence to do suspension? And there was me thinking I was good at improvising

Quote Originally Posted by Dash01 View Post

A few dozen of the gigantic zip ties used by the HVAC folks will also do the job, but cost as much as a cheesy spring compressor.
    A friend in the military explained this one to me. Order a dozen or so soldiers to sit on the car to compress the spring, lash it down with $$$ mil spec zip ties and soforth. Tax dollars at work.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"