GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Brakes...would you trust the "Midas touch"?

Default Brakes...would you trust the "Midas touch"?

My 94 540 is shaking pretty bad when braking from 70+MPH, does anyone have experience with taking the car to Midas? Anything special I should tell them to use/check?. Thanks
    BMW...Freude am Fahren

I'd go to an indy instead before I set foot in a Midas shop. Hand them your car and before long they'll want to replace half of it.

it most likely is not your brakes, it is more likely your thrust arm bushings. Possibly your brakes as well. Where do you live, i'm sure there's a fellow E34 owner on here that is local to you who could recommend a good shop to take it to.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

I'm in Colorado, 180 miles west of Denver.
    BMW...Freude am Fahren

I agree with bimmerd00d, it's probably not your brakes. See my recent post regarding directional tires and you will see a list of items that I have, and so have many others, replaced or fixed in hopes of curing the shakes. Good Luck...hope you have lots of money in the bank It has been a painful experience for me. The only good part is that my used car will be practically new in a few years. And, I too would stay away from Midas not unless their mechanic is very familiar with BMW's.
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    it most likely is not your brakes, it is more likely your thrust arm bushings. Possibly your brakes as well. Where do you live, i'm sure there's a fellow E34 owner on here that is local to you who could recommend a good shop to take it to.
    I'm assuming that this is a standard problem with the 5 series? Braking is fine below 55MPH, but hard barking above creates significant shake. Thrust Arm Bushings?

Unregistered Guest

145k is pretty high mileage for the thrust arm problem to appear but not impossible if the repair was done earlier with stock bushings. Get a good indy to indicate the rotors to see if any run-out is present and go from there.

Paul