GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Fudge

Default Holy Fudge

I think my amp has been missing the whole time? Previous owner must of did some work back there.

It doesn't look good to me, should I just strip the whole harness with amp out of a junked E34? if so, will the year matter?

yikes - I would double check the big red wire in that bundle somewhere just to make sure the duct tape is holding (that's a live one...)

I can't see it not being a giant pain...this might be a good time to 'upgrade'

Its been like this for years now, I just now realized it. My radio harness is also mangled up. My door tweeters and front right speakers recently went out. So what should I do ith that mess back there? Will the CD43 not work as well without the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535 View Post
    Its been like this for years now, I just now realized it. My radio harness is also mangled up. My door tweeters and front right speakers recently went out. So what should I do ith that mess back there? Will the CD43 not work as well without the amp?
    So... you have a stock head unit? What is your setup? There's got to be an amp somewhere, even if it's on the head.

I noticed with the stock speakers sharing a ground on each corner funny things can happen if a connection is bad. I once had my whole right front side go dead because I squished the tweeter wire in the door panel while toolong around with the door window.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    So... you have a stock head unit? What is your setup? There's got to be an amp somewhere, even if it's on the head.
    All stock head units on these cars have amps built-in. They're often used on BMWs without the hi-fi option as-is with no amp. Not very much power and no EQ, but it will certainly work. Same high-level speaker-outs are used whether the car has a separate amp, or not.

I have a sony aftermarket headunit. has a DSO and EQ feature. I hate the blue and red illumination.

I'm heading in to this territory soon. I have no rear amp either, but the entire system is out. I have sourced everything but an amp.. once I get one, I just need to figure out which color wires go to what (front and rear!). Best way to check phase before hooking them up?
    '94 540i
    e39 6-Spd, 3.15 LSD, UUC SSK w/ DSSR &RK5, M5 Bumpers/Side Skirts, HID Smileys/Fogs, E32 Mirror, BB Tri-Flo, V1, ZR3, Chipped, RD Strut Bar & Front and Rear Sway, SS Brake Lines, Brembos

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535 View Post
    I have a sony aftermarket headunit. has a DSO and EQ feature. I hate the blue and red illumination.
    Well the amp is in the sony... I wonder where the crossovers are then. Your problem could easily be the wiring behind the HU. You have door tweeters and all of your speakers used to work ok?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglecomm View Post
    I'm heading in to this territory soon. I have no rear amp either, but the entire system is out. I have sourced everything but an amp.. once I get one, I just need to figure out which color wires go to what (front and rear!). Best way to check phase before hooking them up?
    Stock setup is no problem for phase. The connectors are different sizes on the speaker ends, and I don't think it would work at all anyway if you mixed up + and - because the speaker grounds are shared.

http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
    All stock head units on these cars have amps built-in. They're often used on BMWs without the hi-fi option as-is with no amp. Not very much power and no EQ, but it will certainly work. Same high-level speaker-outs are used whether the car has a separate amp, or not.
    Wow I thought the stock amp was weak! So where do they put the crossovers in no-amp systems?

Stock setup is no problem for phase. The connectors are different sizes on the speaker ends, and I don't think it would work at all anyway if you mixed up + and - because the speaker grounds are shared.
    Yeah, but the PO had an aftermarket setup which means all the wires (speaker ends) were cut off and just have the wire now.. so no size diffs. Will spend some time with the wiring diag and figure it out.
    '94 540i
    e39 6-Spd, 3.15 LSD, UUC SSK w/ DSSR &RK5, M5 Bumpers/Side Skirts, HID Smileys/Fogs, E32 Mirror, BB Tri-Flo, V1, ZR3, Chipped, RD Strut Bar & Front and Rear Sway, SS Brake Lines, Brembos

So where do they put the crossovers in no-amp systems?
    I don't know because I've never seen one without the amp in the USA. On the E28 the passive networks (chokes, pretty much) were fitted to the woofer as coils wrapped around the magnet assembly, but that was only on the Hi-Fi package which had just two-ways in each corner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast