GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: starter... chickening out....

Default starter... chickening out....

"If you happen to have your transmission out of the car, it’s really easy to replace the starter. The starter is very accessible (yellow arrow), and removing it only takes about five minutes."

That's from pelican parts tech info. I have a rebuilt starter to put in, but unfortunately my transmission is not out of the car. I've done this job on other cars real easy but the more I look at this the more I want to take it to my indie and pony up... crimeny it's only 2 bolts but last time I looked I could barely get a wrench on one of the bolts let alone move it around at all.

So... m20...

Do you really have to remove the intake manifold? Do I need to buy a torx wrench?

Has anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    "If you happen to have your transmission out of the car, it’s really easy to replace the starter. The starter is very accessible (yellow arrow), and removing it only takes about five minutes."

That's from pelican parts tech info. I have a rebuilt starter to put in, but unfortunately my transmission is not out of the car. I've done this job on other cars real easy but the more I look at this the more I want to take it to my indie and pony up... crimeny it's only 2 bolts but last time I looked I could barely get a wrench on one of the bolts let alone move it around at all.

So... m20...

Do you really have to remove the intake manifold? Do I need to buy a torx wrench?

Has anyone done this?
    Can only speak for the M50 and I would certainly remove the intake manifold. Mine also has a third starter bolt that goes into the block. All the bell housing bolts are male torx head so you need torx sockets and various ratchet heads that bend. There is a lug on the bellhousing that fits 'very snuggly' into a small hole in the starter flange so unless you want your tranny hanging on it I'd take the starter out before the tranny anyway Then again the M20 may be a piece of cake

thanks... sigh...

Don't be a pussy.
    It's a nuts and bolts job. Get some long extensions if you need 'em, or you just pay for the expensive ones your mechanic will use.
    You're my hero Timmy boy, don't stop now. You started with a refugee from the scrapper and turned it into a respectable(reliable?)car.
    Don't fail me now.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Don't be a pussy.
    It's a nuts and bolts job. Get some long extensions if you need 'em, or you just pay for the expensive ones your mechanic will use.
    You're my hero Timmy boy, don't stop now. You started with a refugee from the scrapper and turned it into a respectable(reliable?)car.
    Don't fail me now.
    urgh .... so .... tired ....

nope, thanks Ross but this one I'm going to work some o/t at my real job instead. I am just about there... He can change the rear fuel hoses and filter while it's there I don't want to do that either - then I am reliable for winter this time I think. Not respectable yet... just sprayed the hood with a $7 spray can yesterday HAAAAHAHA - looks like it's going to be a bi-annual event until you find me a nice narrow schwarz one.

I agree it's lame but I have a nice new drivers seat cushion (that I did do myself) and for once I would like to spend the weekend not swearing at the car... 2 bolts in pissing rain and then farting around on my bike to buy tools that the closest stores don't have in stock I can see it now....