GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: VIN & Rear end differential type

Default VIN & Rear end differential type

Is there a way to figure out the type of final drive we have (regular or limited slip) from the VIN number decoder ? For this particular one : CE94810 If not is there an other way to find out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Is there a way to figure out the type of final drive we have (regular or limited slip) from the VIN number decoder ? For this particular one : CE94810 If not is there an other way to find out ?
    there is a small steel tag on one of the bolts on the differential. It will be stamped with the gear ratio and if it is limited slip or not.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Using that VIN gets me to this page on realoem

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=33&fg=05

Says it's a 2.93 and says nothing of it being a limited slip. So if that's accurate it looks like it's a 2.93 open diff.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

This isn't a very good picture, but you'll be looking for a thin metal tag on the left side of the rear diff cover, behind the left axle flange:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/diff2.jpg
    If if has an "S" prefix on the tag, followed by numbers such as 3,15 then it has LSD. As long as you have it raised to check for the tag, spin one of the wheels and if they both rotate in the same direction, then it has LSD. If they rotate in opposite directions, the it's not LSD. You can also check for LSD by raising only one wheel leaving the other on the ground, with the front wheels chocked, and the gear in neutral with the brake released. If the wheel does not rotate, it's LSD, if it rotates freely, then it's not LSD.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    This isn't a very good picture, but you'll be looking for a thin metal tag on the left side of the rear diff cover, behind the left axle flange:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/diff2.jpg
    If if has an "S" prefix on the tag, followed by numbers such as 3,15 then it has LSD. As long as you have it raised to check for the tag, spin one of the wheels and if they both rotate in the same direction, then it has LSD. If they rotate in opposite directions, the it's not LSD. You can also check for LSD by raising only one wheel leaving the other on the ground, with the front wheels chocked, and the gear in neutral with the brake released. If the wheel does not rotate, it's LSD, if it rotates freely, then it's not LSD.
    Good comments from all off you, i should have said that i don't have physical access to the car (i am looking to buy it) i just know it's VIN number and thought that the VIN decoder could help to find out if it's an LSD or an open one, it appear that the only way is to make Shogun test and/or read the differential tag; unfortunately i will have to wait to discover the answer. Thanks anyway guys.

A local dealer should be able to pull a Vehicle History Report on the BMW computer. LSD should be option 209, if my memory is functioning correctly. Some say there's a build sheet attached to the bottom of the rear seat cushion showing all the options on that car, but I don't ever recall seeing information beyond upholstery codes.

A lot of the newer BMs don't have limited slip as an option because they use the traction control system to achieve a similar result. I don't know if this applies to the car that you're looking at, but is the case for many.