GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Has anyone converted to a moonroof??

Default Has anyone converted to a moonroof??

Hello,
    I couldnt really find any information about this in the arcives, but maybe I wasnt looking hard enough. My sunroof is getting all oxidized and I could just put a glass panel in there instead, I would imagine this wouldnt be a simple swap out. Did any E34s come with moonroofs? Does anyone know if there are any compatible models?

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i

I would think that painting an oxidized steel panel would be far easier and cheaper than replacing it with a custom glass panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Golgade View Post
    Hello,
    I couldnt really find any information about this in the arcives, but maybe I wasnt looking hard enough. My sunroof is getting all oxidized and I could just put a glass panel in there instead, I would imagine this wouldnt be a simple swap out. Did any E34s come with moonroofs? Does anyone know if there are any compatible models?
    I've thought about that. Don't know if later 5- or other series BMWs have moonroofs that might fit. Perhaps you could use the original steel panel as a template for acrylic or polycarbonate sheet. Put the plastic sheet on top of the steel panel, with a greased felt cloth between. Stick the stack into a pizza oven at about 300 degrees, and the plastic will slump and take the shape of the steel panel. Trim the edge with a router. Now, you have a plastic sheet with the shape and contour of the stock steel panel. Gotta add hinge and track hardware and trim.
    Dash01
    '90 535ia 272K miles

I sold a 1994 SAAB 9000 moon roof panel to a E28 owner a few years ago. It is a known fact the 9000 moon roof fits the sun roof opening. But I don't know any moon roof fits an E34.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

As yaofeng says E28s can use a Saab glass panel that sort of fits. I think there is an uber-rare factory glass E34 piece but good luck finding one.
    If yours is rusting through PM me, I have a complete sunroof taking up lots of space that I can't manage to sell. I'll seperate the panel and will get it to you for little $.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

take the one from Ross, easiest and cheapest. I would not start using an angle grinder to cut the roof to fit another kind of sunroof, just makes more probs with rust for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I think there is an uber-rare factory glass E34 piece but good luck finding one.
    I do believe that this is correct. Early E34's had an option for a glass sunroof/moonroof. But it was very rare. When they do actually pop up they go for big $.

Grab the one Ross has sitting around if yours isn't easily re-paintable. Or grab the one from Ross and use it as a template to find or make a glass piece that'd work.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Well Thanks for all replys. My sunroof isnt really that bad, its really just the clear coat. I just thought it would be worth it more to get a moonroof, but it seems i am going to be better off with a respray!

Captain Dan
    1995 530i
    1977 530i