GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Front end is going under the knife Wednesday!

Default Front end is going under the knife Wednesday!

After putting up for 2-3 years with all sorts of sounds and knocks, I am finally getting the front end rebuilt. This will include strut inserts, shock mounts, upper and lower control arms and bushings/joints, bumps stops as well as the rear pitman arms. I will post later what the difference is after a 600 miles drive this weekend but I imagine the steering wheel 55 mph wobble will be gone and the confidence in the car will be back! Am also getting a front end alignment the same day so I do not screw anything up after all this work.
    Last edited by Black 535i; 10-10-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Do let us know. I am getting ready for something similar.....

L

1995 525iA 200,000 Miles

Default Have already been quoted a maximum price

Mechanic says he will only replace only what is necessary and there is no restocking fee for unused parts which is sweet. We have worked out a price and it can only go down which is a nice deal. I am just too busy every weekend from now until late Nov. in Chicago which is why I am not attempting the work myself. And by then a concrete floor in an unheated garage in Chicago is not a nice place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i View Post
    Mechanic says he will only replace only what is necessary and there is no restocking fee for unused parts which is sweet. We have worked out a price and it can only go down which is a nice deal. I am just too busy every weekend from now until late Nov. in Chicago which is why I am not attempting the work myself. And by then a concrete floor in an unheated garage in Chicago is not a nice place to be!
    Be sure to change front/rear swaybar links, they're cheap and when worn tend to make clunking noises. Also, if you want your front end to last, use Lemfoerder parts.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Default They were replaced last year when they broke

Thanks for the heads up though!

Default Repair update and costs

Here is a breakdown of the work I had done on the car last week. The following items were replaced:

1. Replace all tie rod ends
    2. Replace upper control arms and bushings
    3. Replace lower control arms and bushings
    4. Replace strut inserts
    5. Replace bump stops, dust sleeves, shock mounts
    6. Replace rear pitman arms and bolts
    7. Front end alignment
    8. Replace fuel filter

The work was all done at a local mechanic as I did not want any surprises in my garage while doing the work myself. Took the car out for a 500 mile drive last weekend and all I can say is what a difference!!! No more shimmy at 55-60 mph. No more wandering steering. Car tracks true and straight and responds to even the slightest steering wheel input. I suggest this repair for anyone who plans on keeping their vehicle for any amount of time. We also adjusted the steering box allen key bolt to tighten up the steering and this does make a difference in input when driving. There will still a bit of play in the wheel at park or in neutral but when you are driving the difference is noticeable. Just do not over tighten as you will get the gears inside too close together and wear out the gear teeth.

Like I said if you are keeping your car like I plan on doing it is a worthwhile investment. Total cost of parts and repair was $2000.00 even but well worth the peace of mind when I am driving around. No more funny noises and rattles and much improved steering input.
    Last edited by Black 535i; 10-08-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add text

Ahh sway bar links were replaced last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i View Post

Like I said if you are keeping your car like I plan on doing it is a worthwhile investment. Total cost of parts and repair was $2000.00 even but well worth the peace of mind when I am driving around. No more funny noises and rattles and much improved steering input.
    That would be a sweet deal here, and I must say +1 on it being worth it. I paid can$2100 for complete shocks and front control arms after doing the tie rods myself. ouch but wheee!