GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How can I tow 535i with jammed ignition switch?

Default How can I tow 535i with jammed ignition switch?

My shop Bavarian Professionals of Berkeley, CA are willing and able to fix my jammed ignition switch, and I want to tow the car to them.

But the car is in a side-by-side parking space, only 1.5Ft from a wall, with a sharp, backing turn required for removal. Because the steering wheel is locked, I don't see how the car can be positioned so it can be loaded onto the tow truck?

Any suggestions? 1989 535i manual 240K professionally maintained and running/driving like new except for this.

any tow company that does repos/parking violations will have little hydraulic dollies that they can put under your wheels to move the car. just tell the towing company that the steering is immobile and the specifics of your parking situation before they dispatch a truck.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

oh, and just in case your wheels are turned at angles, you might want to ask for a flatbed. your choice.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Very helpful Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    oh, and just in case your wheels are turned at angles, you might want to ask for a flatbed. your choice.
    Now I can proceed with confidence!

With a lot of patience, rocking of the steering wheel, tapping of the lock (if you can get to it) and copious amounts of swearing you may be able to get the barrel to un-seize for long enough to start the car. Then drive it straight to the shop.

I had the same problem with my e34 and could always manage to get it going before I received my new barrel - it took about 5 days from BMW.

If the keys are original to the car, you can get a new ignition barrel cut to the key from BMW, you just need proof of title and the VIN number.

HTH.
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.