GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fuel pump gone; Opel pump fit in BMW?

Default Fuel pump gone; Opel pump fit in BMW?

While trying to move from standstill car stalled. Tried to crank, but the engine wouldn't start. Didn't have a tester or anything, didn't know which fuse was for the fuel pump, and was out of the city (though not very far). So to test the fuses plugged a fuse I knew was good for 25amps in place of all others, at the same time cranking after each fuse was replaced with the good one. Didn't work out. Just after I had arranging for the vehicle to be towed, made one final attempt to start the car.. and it started.. )) Was happy that it works, just wanted to get home.. Cancelled the towing, went on my own. Halfway on the road the car stalled again.. ))
    It seemed that if you let the car sit for a while it started to show signs of life. Waited for about an hour, but this time it only started for a second or two and stall again. So had to tow the car in the end. After having towed the car home, tried again and it started. But the engine worked for only about a minute before stalling.

I had suspected the fuel pump as it was too silent, no noise at all. Usually you could hear it whizzing, and from time to time it used to make louder noises. Checked the voltage, it would come for 3 or 5 seconds just after switching on the ignition, then only while cranking. Didn't check fuel pressure as I thought there is no need for that.

How do you take out the fuel pump? My car is a euro vehicle, you first need to unwind a big plastic nut. Disconnected fuel upstream and return lines. Took it out, but it seems the part that came out is a fuel level sensor. The pump itself is still inside the tank, submerged in fuel. What do I need to do to bring it out?

One guy here offered a fuel pump from Opel. He says they are interchangeable. Couldn't compare as I couldn't remove the pump itself from the tank of my car. Attached pictures of the pump he is offering. Will it fit?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

had suspected the fuel pump as it was too silent, no noise at all. Usually you could hear it whizzing, and from time to time it used to make louder noises. Checked the voltage, it would come for 3 or 5 seconds just after switching on the ignition, then only while cranking.
    that is normal. When ignition is on, the fuel pump starts running 4-5 seconds and will then switch off when engine is not started. This is to get enough fuel pressure into the system from tank to fuel pressure regulator.

Opel pump could work if it fits somehow, have already seen a Hyundai pump in an E32 730 V8 in South Korea and in Australia they use GOSS pumps for Holden cars.
    Maybe some small adjustment are necessary, but in General it will work if it fits into the bracket. If too small, usually the oump kit sellers for multi purpose after market application add rubber, connectors, wire.

But how is the fuel pump removed from the tank?

Fuel Pump Replacement DIY - in this case an after market fuel pump from TrePerformance, many pics here
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1245212

Thanks Shogun.
    Almost completed the job, but had a hiccup with the clamps. Forgat to buy new ones. The ones that were on the pump are not normal screw type. Similar to this
    http://www.asianproducts.com/hotprod...-ear-clamp.htm
    I do not know how to work with these, so it took very long to get them off. Tried to put them back, but it was impossible. Do you guys know how to put them on and off?
    In the end took off the clamps from the fuel upstream and return lines that are visible in the trunk, and used them to connect the pump. This way at least I won't have to take out the pump when I buy new clamps (I hope).
    Having a bit of trouble putting back the fuel level sensor. Can't get it to fit in its place, one end (far side) keeps protruding a bit. In my car this unit is secured with a large plastic nut. It does secure the unit in place, but it is visible that it didn't fit in correctly. One thought is that I must have misconfigured the fuel lines that connect the pump to the fuel level sensor. Really do not want to take out the pump again.. ((

always use new clamps, these original ones are basically one way clamps, you can scrap them
    Have a look here, maybe that helps
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/710531
    in the link there is an installation of TrePerformance pumps into a E32 750.
    and this
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/fuel...el_sender.html