GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: autotrans fluid change

Default autotrans fluid change

Just did an auto filter/fluid change on my car for the the first time I normal only change the fluid as I have heard horror story's of snapped bolts etc...
    So having a whole weekend off work I had no excuse ,last time I got my local mec to do a fluid and filter change he charged $160 NZ which is good, It wasn't till I got the parts from BMW oil strainer $137.00,O ring $5.31,gasket $51.20,Got the ATF from an auto store for $42

So from his price I very much doubt he changed the the filter.
    Better DIY so you know for sure!

Got all the tools ready had soaked all the bolts with WD-40 the night before.

Got under the car thought I would loosen all the the bolts a bit before I start just to check for stiff bolts or anything dodgy.
    All the small bolts were sweet wasn't till i got to the dipstick bolt stuck as...tried every thing would not budge.

I ended up finding a clip that hold the dipstick to the engine undid that and slid the pan and the dipstick out as one piece.

Checked out the pan the magnets looked OK till I put my finger on it,there was 3mm of black sludge on top! the filter looked clean on the inside but the case both sides was covered in black soot metal filings.

Took me 4hrs and a few beers ,next time about 45min now I know what I'm doing!

The old gals purring.

It's an easy Job don't put it off.
    Feels good and you know it's right when you DIY.
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

He may well have done the right thing, the filter is only worth $25 or so- perhaps check out www.bmaparts.com to see. Remember you only get 1/3 of the fluid each time you change it as most is inside the torque converter. Need to change regularly on old ones... unless you are looking forward to doing a rebuild! On your trans, ZF approved the syntehtic Castrol Transmax Z fluid, its under twice as expensive, so is worth using- it is far better fluid than Dexron III which is not actually the correct spec, but a compatible drop-in. The 3mm of black soot is normal. At elast these trans' can be fixed at home... even when one has to do the clutches, etc. Rebuild kits are available for them toosince they were used in LandRovers and other cars like Volvos too.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I'm in New Zealand and BMW part prices are high here.

I used Castrol Automatic TQ-DIII, I drain the Auto pan every 2nd engine oil change.

Thanks I might try Castrol Transmax Z fluid next time if I can get hold of some.

Does it mix well with the TQ-DIII??or will the whole thing have to be drained at the shop?

Cheers
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

the bolt for the dipstick doesn't have to be undone. you can remove it with the pan on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast View Post
    All the small bolts were sweet wasn't till i got to the dipstick bolt stuck as...tried every thing would not budge.

I ended up finding a clip that hold the dipstick to the engine undid that and slid the pan and the dipstick out as one piece.