GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The long awaited door strap reinforcement plates are finished

Default The long awaited door strap reinforcement plates are finished

Ok guys the stainless steel plates are done. I have polished a couple so you can see. I have already installed one on my sons 735i, nice fit. I only have 49 plates left and I don't know when I will be able to get more made because all of my funds are going to finish my 2 car garage. First come first serve. I need to go tomorrow and find out how much for shipping. Once I know the shipping I will set up a PayPal page on my web site so you guys can purchase them. All said and done $9.00 a plate plus shipping.

I linked that also on Bimmerboard if someone needs them there
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/706441

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Ok guys the stainless steel plates are done. I have polished a couple so you can see. I have already installed one on my sons 735i, nice fit. I only have 49 plates left and I don't know when I will be able to get more made because all of my funds are going to finish my 2 car garage. First come first serve. I need to go tomorrow and find out how much for shipping. Once I know the shipping I will set up a PayPal page on my web site so you guys can purchase them. All said and done $9.00 a plate plus shipping.
    What about us people that already said we'd order them earlier this year when you first mentioned them? Are you putting any aside for us. I think Kris was interested also.
    ss2115.

BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    Golf MkIII - 1997 (fun car and daughters learn-to-drive car)

looks like you get new customers also from here, someone just mentioned that he is depressed now as he just inspected his doors and found cracks
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1309221

ss2115:
    just send Joe a PN and ask fopr the Paypal account and shipping cost to AUS and give him the shipping address. For that low sales price I would even add the Paypal fee they will deduct from Joe's account when he get's money via Paypal from overseas.

Yes absolutely you will get your plates. I have sent PM's (or at least I have tried ) to all who have asked for plates and am waiting their responses. These plates have taken a while to get made, so I understand if some of you have either made the repair already or have changed their mind. Right now I have orders for 22 plates, that is if no one has changed their mind. So that leaves 17 plates to go.

Yeah put one of the plates on my son's 7 last night and noticed that there was a small crack. I think most people will find, especially on the drivers door, that there are hair line cracks in the metal. If these sell well, perhaps I can talk to the manufacture about giving me a 90 day term so I will have time to pay him.

I wonder if making the plate with stainless steel stock is not making corrosion worse because of galvanic action. The stainless steel plate will not rust. But the carbon steel bolts used to fasten the plate to the door will see rust very soon. If you use stainless steel bolts, then rust on the carbon steel door sheet metal panel in contact with the bolt will be accelerated. Perhaps primed plain carbon steel plate is a better choice. That area of the car will not see persistent moisture.

One example of this galvanic action on our car is the fuel line hold down clips under the body. The clips are plastic with a stainless sheet metal cover fastened by a carbon steel screw. The screw in contect with stainless steel is typically very rusted. The fuel line near the hold down is also very rusted because part of it is in contact with the stainless steel cover.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

I guess you could go either way but no matter which material you use there will be fatigue in the door. For me the choice was stainless. Everyone who asked for these plates requested stainless steel so thats what I made them from. Don't have any plans on making them from carbon and painting them. One thing I will add to my write up is to use thread lock, no matter what metal is used this helps to protect the threads.

Actually Stainless 302, 303, 304, 316, 317, 321, and 347 (304 and 316 being the most common) are actually quite passive. You will have no concerns with regards to galvanic corrosion if you used one of these to produce the parts.
    In order to induce galvanic corrosion you do need an electrolyte. In vehicles this would usually be water contaminated with Calcium Chloride aka road salt. Since there is little chance of this contacting the door hinges it is a pretty safe bet these will not fail as a result of corrosion in the next 200 years ;-)
    To absolutely guarantee that the part does not corrode or cause corrosion you can 'pickle' it by dipping the parts in nitric acid. This removes all contaminants and activates the chromium barrier.
    Shayne
    525iTA

Reality is frequently inaccurate.

just in time for winter maintenance - nice work! ... PM sent!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast