GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did it - rebuilt a 5hp24

Default I did it - rebuilt a 5hp24

I did it, I did it. It even works. I rebuilt the 5hp24 in my 2001 740iL.

I took my time and rebuilt it over many weekend over the summer. Wasn't in a hurry as it really is our winter driver.

It has 155k miles on it, it really did not need a rebuild. The only symptom was a little bit of a shutter sometimes when shifting into second gear.

I took the tranny apart, and found essentially no wear. The clutches looked fine, no torn seals, and even the reverse plunger had no chunks taken out of it as seen on other posts.

It's actually an easy job, taking the tranny out, and putting it back in is the difficult part.

Took my time, rebuilt a group/drum pack at a time, lined up the clutches, and it all snapped back together. I only replaced all the seals and clutches, that's it. I did not even open up the valve body. I figured I could always do that from under the car without having to pull the tranny.

Here's a slideshow. The slideshow came out weird, you have to go backwards to see the forward progression. Oh well.

http://bimmernut.com/5hp24show/
    Last edited by bimmer nut; 10-21-2014 at 02:34 PM.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Good for you. It is a nice feeling when you know that you accomplished something like that, despite people intoning at the outset that you are attempting brain surgery. Did you have to go back into it for any "seconds" afterward? You wouldn't be the first.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

congratulations, If you would like more practice, you can do mine
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Impressed! Have only taken one apart to see where it failed. Were there any concerns about getting any endfloat within spec.?

No seconds really. Just had to reinsert drums a couple times to get that last 1/4 inch click on aligning clutch disks.

No more practice please, I like doing things like this one time, the second time it becomes "work".

Now I want to rebuild an engine. I have not done the bottom end before. Done valve jobs, rebuild alternators, typical valley pans and oil separators. All the cooling stuff. I've done some a/c work never successful though with the a/c. I hate a/c stuff, I can fix it, but always leaks. When the a/c goes, I buy a new car.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Good work. I might try to do that to mine at some stage.

Good job!

Where did you pick up the kit from?

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I got the kit here:
    http://www.autotransparts.com/cart.p...t_detail&p=730

End float, whats that? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, end float, I found this so I know what you are talking about.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ight=end+float

Well, I'm hoping I don't have a problem. When I lined up the torque converter and tranny, I did have some problem with the TC binding on the flywheel, but I backed out the tranny and was able to to turn the torque converter, to get it to a point where things seem to fit together with no binding. Car is driving fine, so I am hopeful all is well.

Another little something I found on the net. I guess I lucked out big time. I did not think the TC installation was as big a deal as I now read.

Important Torque Converter Installation Tips

1) PREPARE THE CRANKSHAFT AND CONVERTER FOR INSTALLATION a) always check crankshaft for burrs and out of round b) remove rust with emery and lightly grease pocket c) remove paint from converter crank pilot with emery d) pour one quart of ATF into the converter e) check the flex plate for cracks and worn teeth f) install the converter on front of the transmission

2) CHECK CONVERTER TO FLEX PLATE ALIGNMENT a) after bell housing bolts are tight, then check free movement of converter. It should have 1/16 to 1/8" of clearance between pads on converter and flex plate. If you have more than 1/16 to 1/8", install equal thickness washers to reduce clearance to 1/16 to 1/8". If not enough clearance, remove transmission and check to see if converter is seated in front pump properly. b) draw converter bolts up evenly so as not to pull converter into a bind causing vibration and pump bushing failure. c) if vibration occurs after installation, mark converter to flex plate and rotate the converter one bolt hole at a time.

3) The number 1 cause of vibration is failure to prepare the crankshaft for installation. Each time the converter is installed without sanding out the crankshaft rust, removing the paint from converter pilot and adding a little grease the converter may be drawn up crooked with the first bolt, causing the converter to run-out and usually ruining the pump bushing. The 2nd most common complaint on converters is a whine after installation. This usually means too much clearance between converter pads and flex plate. This draws the converter hub too far out of the pump drive gear causing the gear to rock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast