GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tail lights question

Default tail lights question

Dashboard error indicator says license plate lights are not working, but in fact they are.

Now, backup lights quit working, both sides. Dashboard indicator does not show this.

LKM problem? Fuses? Coincidental failure of BOTH backup lights?

Fix?

Default A common problem is the wiring on the trunk hinge sometimes breaks/shorts out

Quote Originally Posted by Dash01
    Dashboard error indicator says license plate lights are not working, but in fact they are.

Now, backup lights quit working, both sides. Dashboard indicator does not show this.

LKM problem? Fuses? Coincidental failure of BOTH backup lights?

Fix?

GAM is correct. Check the wires going through the left side hinge of trunk. There's a hard plastic cover that digs into the wires which causes problems.

Greg Mendoza

Many thanks!

Would this explain 1.) the faulty inop. license plate indication at the dashboard AND; 2.) the backup lights are not working, but no such indication shown at the dashboard?

Hi all,

I just had the same problem! I had a warning in the dash CCM about the license plate lights, but my back-up lights were not working. The licence plate lights were working but they were faded, also the inside trunk lights were not working.

The wiring to the trunk was in bad shape because of the black plastic protector. The brown wire for the ground was cut in two. Fixed it and all works fine now.

Those archives are great.
    1993 (build 93/05) 525i automatic M50TU (vanos) 263K miles (ca. 423000 km) in Montreal, Canada (bought the car 9 years ago in San Diego, CA)

Quote Originally Posted by alex 1993 525i auto View Post
    Hi all,

I just had the same problem! I had a warning in the dash CCM about the license plate lights, but my back-up lights were not working. The licence plate lights were working but they were faded, also the inside trunk lights were not working.

The wiring to the trunk was in bad shape because of the black plastic protector. The brown wire for the ground was cut in two. Fixed it and all works fine now.

Those archives are great.
    Thank you for posting. Glad the problem was solved. Would you please post a picture of the "black plastic protector" for location awareness, if this is possible.

deleted air conditioning

Back in 2012 I posted wire loom info and broken wire looms http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1084323
    By black plastic protector he probably means the black plastic on the trunk lid brackets where the wire loom goes thru
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Y/DSC03246.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam View Post
    Thank you for posting. Glad the problem was solved. Would you please post a picture of the "black plastic protector" for location awareness, if this is possible.
    This was a post from 2005, doubt they will reply. Shoguns reply should help.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    This was a post from 2005, doubt they will reply. Shoguns reply should help.
    The post before mine came yesterday.

deleted air conditioning

Yes, the black plastic piece was this one:
    Part no. 9 in the RealOEM diagram:
    Name:  trunk lid.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  47.8 KB
    1993 (build 93/05) 525i automatic M50TU (vanos) 263K miles (ca. 423000 km) in Montreal, Canada (bought the car 9 years ago in San Diego, CA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast