GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I did it - rebuilt a 5hp24

Thanks for sharing your project with us, they are terrific pics and show the care one has to take! I've read BillR's postings and Sean and Johan's e32 pages which relate mainly to ZF4HP22EHs, so this was relly interesting.

Did the kit's instructions help enough apart from the TC-line-up/tolerances issue later on? It'd be really good to make a section on the site for Auto Trans rebuilds, and really get the knowledge out there for all those with the time to fix dodgey trans behaviours.

It'd be really cool if everyone could be fixing trans problems themselves instead of having to re-mortgage the house and/or run the workshop gauntlet...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I did not follow any instructions other than:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/490896

Really it's just a put it back together the same way you took it apart project. Plus lots of patience.

Oh, I seen this as well:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2731816...ith/763455730/

You have to love the Internet.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Thanks for the link! They got great prices and I bookmarked them.

I am glad you got it right. I tried to fix my MB tranny 15 years ago and did not have success... I did fix my first gear slippage problem but it only stays in first gear... trans shop won't help so ended up buying rebuilt tranny.

If I had to do it again, I would. I heard ZF tranny is much easier to work with... don't know. Only what Kirt told me... he said MB tranny valve body is yuck... LOL.

Great pics, thanks.

Here is something worth to read I copied from Bimmerboard;

740 tranny problems
    Author: rv8flyboy Posted on: 2009-09-13

For some time now, our 740 has been throwing Trans Prog errors at random, then finally, all the time. Now that we had a repeatable event we connected DIS and ran through the test procedures. DIS is great, it tells you what to do and what to expect.

DIS noted that the output sensor in the 5HP30 was not giving us pulses, we measured the resistance of sensors, there are 2, on the EGS connector. The input sensor was around 350 ohms, the output sensor at 1500 ohms, they should be between 280 and 350 or so.

we dropped the oil pan to remove the bad sensor when, lo and behold there is a loose bold and the output sensor is kinda dangling in the hole.... well now, da's no good!! removed the senor from the connector, measure it, 360 ohms, close enough for me, hooked it back up, checked on the EGS connector, 1500 ohms. We had already measured from the tranny plug to the EGS plug and each wire came in at under 1 ohm. so the wiring outside the tranny was good.

so off the sensor came again, tightened the contacts on the connector inside the tranny and tried again, 360 on the EGS connector, great, buttoned all back together, and filled it back up with oil. HURRAY for the dip stick tube i added at a previous event!! now THAT made filling the tranny a snap.

started the car, ran DIS, all seems to be back in working order!!

so, for all of u out there who are experiencing random tranny problems, the solution may just be a simple one of bad contacts or a backed off bolt allowing the sensor to pull away far enough that the readings becomes erratic!!..

Great tip... thanks!

Congrats. Lots of courage tearing into a (for the most part) working autobox.
    Something I'll add for those who want to try this. Have a long, clean workbench to lay it all out on.
    Ed, did you soak the clutches in ATF? Curious because I forgot the first time and the first few shifts resulted in a horrible "squak" as the trans. builders call it. All was well after a few times but definately an "Oh, no" moment.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed View Post
    OK, end float, I found this so I know what you are talking about.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...ight=end+float

Well, I'm hoping I don't have a problem. When I lined up the torque converter and tranny, I did have some problem with the TC binding on the flywheel, but I backed out the tranny and was able to to turn the torque converter, to get it to a point where things seem to fit together with no binding. Car is driving fine, so I am hopeful all is well.
    Actually I didnt mean that end float Just curious if you had to check any tolerances and use different shims to take up any 'slack'. Great work and fantastic pics!

Default Congrats Ed,

For future reference, if you need the manuals to rebuild the zf transmissions, there is a ATSG torrent floating around on the nets that covers most of the earlier zf models up to around 2000.... not that i would condone file sharing

Let me know if you are looking for an M62TU to rebuild. :-) I have one sitting in my garage. My old engine from my 2000 740iL has a spun rod bearing. Its been sitting on an engine hoist since late last year. Some day I will get to it.. and in the meantime I have to figure out what the word rebuild means. :-D
    '94 540i
    e39 6-Spd, 3.15 LSD, UUC SSK w/ DSSR &RK5, M5 Bumpers/Side Skirts, HID Smileys/Fogs, E32 Mirror, BB Tri-Flo, V1, ZR3, Chipped, RD Strut Bar & Front and Rear Sway, SS Brake Lines, Brembos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast