GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e34 Touring rack question

Default e34 Touring rack question

I'm thinking of picking up an e34 touring and I have a question about the factory rack.

Are there factory "crossbars" available and would they be strong enough to hold a surfboard ay highway speeds?

Can you fit any aftermarket racks with the factory rack rails in place?

I attached a photo from the car I am looking at. There are no crossbars and it doesn't look like there would be room to mount an aftermarket rack... (Yes this has the panoramic roof, or whatever it's called. Does that make a difference?)

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Apparently there's a factory surf board rack available...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=82&fg=51

Would imagine it'd be fine at highway speeds. Don't see how they could sell it if it wasn't.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I have the factory surf rack. It has a pretty decent grip on the roofline gutter, but I run a couple of long tie downs thru the windows as a backup. Ive had 3 stacked boards and a bag of gear tied on. With the board noses curved down, they provide decent downforce at highway speed (80+-)
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Apparently there's a factory surf board rack available...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=82&fg=51

Would imagine it'd be fine at highway speeds. Don't see how they could sell it if it wasn't.
    Thanks for the part #...

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB View Post
    I have the factory surf rack. It has a pretty decent grip on the roofline gutter, but I run a couple of long tie downs thru the windows as a backup. Ive had 3 stacked boards and a bag of gear tied on. With the board noses curved down, they provide decent downforce at highway speed (80+-)
    Hey thanks,

Does your surf rack mount to the factory rack rails shown in my photo? Or is it a stand alone part with a gutter mount like Yakima uses?

I have a 4 door sedan so no roof rails.
    It's more like Yakima. It doesn't look as clamped in since there isn't a real gutter to grip, but it's designed well. I pull on it to check and it's never come off.
    The racks use a special tool (surprise surprise) to tighten. I ordered it from the local dealer. I was surprised it was still in stock. If I remember correctly, it cost around $275. I can post some shots of the mounting. PM me.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by motuman View Post
    Thanks for the part #...
    Welcome. I looked up a 6/94 build 525iT (friend has one so I'm used to looking that model up) and found the roof rack page for that. But I'd imagine that it'd be the same for any of the tourings as I don't think they changed any part of the roof rails during over the models/model years.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Welcome. I looked up a 6/94 build 525iT (friend has one so I'm used to looking that model up) and found the roof rack page for that. But I'd imagine that it'd be the same for any of the tourings as I don't think they changed any part of the roof rails during over the models/model years.
    Hey thanks Bubba. Did you see cross bars available when you looked?

When I had a quick look at REAL OEM I found retrofit roof rails available, but did not find a page showing the crossbars.

I like Thule racks and you should look into aftermarket rather than factory products. I am sure Thule has something that will let you use your factory rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I like Thule racks and you should look into aftermarket rather than factory products. I am sure Thule has something that will let you use your factory rack.
    I generally agree with you, but I'm not entirely sure an aftermarket rack will fit around the factory rails since they are so wide, especially without gutters.

Just wanted to see if other touring owners were able to fit something with or without using the factory rails.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast