GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Regular or High Power plugs for an M60?

Default Regular or High Power plugs for an M60?

About to get new plug for my M-Sport and don't know what if any difference there is between running the regular Bosch/NGK's vs. running the "high power" version of the Bosch/NGK's.

Old plugs are the regular Bosch F7LDCR's and those seemed to run fine when I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. Just don't know if there's any advantage to running the high power version...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Denso Iridium Power, the best plug money can buy
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Denso Iridium Power, the best plug money can buy

I've used these.. I am expecting I'll replace the present Bosch Platinums with them again soon. I've had a number of people on another forum deliver negative remarks about them though the price was the only reason given.. What persuades you these are the best choice?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Don't feel like spending $100 on Denso IR's right now.

Was looking more towards the E3's. They say that their E3.48 plug is for the M60, while the E3.64 plug is for the M50.

Know both the M50 & M60 call for the Bosch F7LDCR. But only the M60 also lists the "high power" Bosch FGR7DQP as a useable plug.

The F7LDCR cross references to the E3.64. The FGR7DQP cross references to the E3.48.

I can't find much technical info on the two E3 plugs (Heat range would be nice). But what I can find says that the E3.64 has a plug reach of 0.750 inches while the E3.48 has a reach of 0.690 inches.

I suppose the longer plug would increase compression very slightly over the shorter plug. And as I'm running 93 octane software on 92 octane running the shorter plug might work slightly better if the heat ranges of the plugs are the same.

Has anyone actually run both the regular & "high power" plugs in their M60? Done it with performance software?
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I've used these.. I am expecting I'll replace the present Bosch Platinums with them again soon. I've had a number of people on another forum deliver negative remarks about them though the price was the only reason given.. What persuades you these are the best choice?
    I've used them on my bike and on my car, it simply feels better than any other. It's also the no.1 plug for FI, so I've heard. It'll easily last 50k, so in the long run, they're not so expensive after all.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    I suppose the longer plug would increase compression very slightly over the shorter plug. And as I'm running 93 octane software on 92 octane running the shorter plug might work slightly better if the heat ranges of the plugs are the same.

Has anyone actually run both the regular & "high power" plugs in their M60? Done it with performance software?
    Plug length will not increase compression, altough, longer plugs will probably achieve better combustion due to the position of the spark. The same goes for the high-power ones, due to higher spark energy.

M60 has knock sensors, so fuel octane rating shouldn't be a problem. The ECU will retard the timing automatically.

I've used Denso Iridium Power plugs with Mark's E.A.T. chip on M50, and it worked very well.