GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no reverse lights - no error message?

Default no reverse lights - no error message?

I noticed today that my reverse lights aren't working. They used to work. I haven't even checked the bulbs but shouldn't I get an error message?

Yes, you should get a message if the lights are out.

Would guess the switch that's supposed to activate the reverse lights when you shift into reverse has crapped out.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Default Negative

I've had the reverse light switch fail a couple of times and never got a check control message. Perhaps if the bulb were to burn out it would chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Yes, you should get a message if the lights are out.

Would guess the switch that's supposed to activate the reverse lights when you shift into reverse has crapped out.

aha! - thanks guys that makes way more sense than both bulbs burning out at the same time. Where is the switch please? Is it near the transmission or somewhere inside the car? Come to think of it I get the odd 'ping' when I shift into reverse but that sounds more like it comes from the rear wheels somewhere... (?)

Happens on old auto cars a lot.

1. Remove the gearshift handle. Will require a small allen key to undo the retaining bolt.

2. Lift the forward section of the shift surround with a non-sharp implement, pull up 5" and then pull forward/up to remove.

3. remove and disassemble the auto shifter switch. Clean contacts, and repair the small reverse light contacts section that may be damaged from heat due to arcing. Re-assemble with **new** di-electric grease and refit.

4. test and refit the surround - you're back in the race.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Happens on old auto cars a lot.

1. Remove the gearshift handle. Will require a small allen key to undo the retaining bolt.

2. Lift the forward section of the shift surround with a non-sharp implement, pull up 5" and then pull forward/up to remove.

3. remove and disassemble the auto shifter switch. Clean contacts, and repair the small reverse light contacts section that may be damaged from heat due to arcing. Re-assemble with **new** di-electric grease and refit.

4. test and refit the surround - you're back in the race.
    Thanks Nick! - I'm on it...

Something easy for a change! I scraped the contact with a pointy knife and greased it up. Works! One thing I would add for anyone who needs to do this is to make sure you wipe off any grease that could cause a short between adjacent circuits.

Before I used the knife I had a look around to see how much a replacement would be and I couldn't find the part on realoem or anywhere. (Knowing this I was very careful with the knife)

#s on the switch are 04854815 and 1216079.

The contact in question is the smaller one lower left (small rectangle facing down if you follow me) - the heat damage Nick is talking about is very obvious.

Thanks again guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great work!

I've seen worse tho Yours will work well.

One thing one want to be sure of is the contacts being really smooth, so 600+ emery paper is a good choice... that way the copper wipes won't wear out so badly either.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Great work!

I've seen worse tho Yours will work well.

One thing one want to be sure of is the contacts being really smooth, so 600+ emery paper is a good choice... that way the copper wipes won't wear out so badly either.
    Good job Tim, i understand that this is a switch on and automatic transmission, but what about the reverse light switch on a manual transmission ? the switch is a completly different one installed on one side of the transmission according to the Bently. Is it easy to access that one i suppose from under the car ? Are exhaust parts in the way ?

Manuals have a switch on the gearbox.

The wiring goes through the console, so it is easy to troubleshoot it if you grab the right wiring diagram for your car's VIN. They are online, easy to find if you haven't got one already.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast