GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Wiper Arm Q

Default Wiper Arm Q

For those of us that have the driver side wiper arm that has the hook facing up, how do you install those Bosch Icon wiper blades?

I have just installed the Icon blades.I removed the wiper arm, cut the arm just below the hook,turned it around and welded it together again.I repainted both arms,you would not know it had been done.
    It works fine.I installed the 20 inch blade on the passenger side and the 21 inch blade on the drivers side.

Dont know if they were ICON or not but I just installed Bosch blades both sides. The new blades had stops on the end so the rubber wasnt actually captive and was easily removed. Pulled the old one out with a pair of pliars and insert the new one. Pinched the tabs a tiny bit so the blade doesnt come out. Job done in 5 mins. As you say passenger side is a straight swap so no messing required

Quote Originally Posted by Pang View Post
    I have just installed the Icon blades.I removed the wiper arm, cut the arm just below the hook,turned it around and welded it together again.I repainted both arms,you would not know it had been done.
    It works fine.I installed the 20 inch blade on the passenger side and the 21 inch blade on the drivers side.
    Hahaha I thoght they looked good too, did the passenger side but I have now I really don't like the ugly lump in the middle (that allows the modern blade to fit to the old style arm) so I might retrograde back to the OE one. Seems silly having one new and one old. Only thing about the old ones I don't like is having such a thick (drivers) blade... I like the welding hack though, sounds like an improvement. How do they go providing a clean wipe at speed?

I didn't think of doing that myself. My thoughts were more about what modern arms with those super-slim blades on another car that would fit the e32 and e34.

Note for those reading, if your wipers rub on the bonnet, see if you can get away with moving the bonnet forward a tad, you remove the grille (follow the procedure by first loosening the fastener clips (Phlips screwdriver) above the kidney grilles, then get bind a large flathead screwdriver with tape to prevent scratching anything. Use it to pop the plastic tabs holding the grille assy under the main beams (carefully) and then get the ones (carefully) in the bottom middle of each kidney grille.
    Remove the grille and then you can get a wrench in to loosen the bolts holding the bonnet hinge brackets. Pull bonnet forward as much as possible without going too far out of kilter with the fenders.

If you go too far the grille may not clip in properly at the top of the kidneys. On mine I removed some grille material to allow the mount to interfere more co-operatively wth the grille.

This procedure is probably required in order to make up for bad adjustment of the bonnet after a PO tried shoving something with your bimmer's nose...
    Last edited by genphreak; 08-23-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!