GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse gone! Did Kirt move?

Default Reverse gone! Did Kirt move?

2-3 weeks ago, the trans started occasionally taking 10-15 seconds to engage reverse. It was intermittent, and usually only when shifting to reverse from drive. Today, it started, no problem shifting into reverse, out of the garage and to work. At lunchtime, I ran out and when I got back in the parking lot (I always back into a parking space) no reverse. Tried 4 or 5 times. Circled the lot and pulled in forward thinking maybe it would be OK on a cold start. Eight hours later, and still no reverse. I pushed it out of the parking space.

I did some searching and there was at least one recent post which made it appear that Kirt may have joined Europeantransmissions in Cummings, Ga. Is this the case, or is he still in Zeeland? Looks like I need to talk to him today. Is he still the preferred rebuilder over the guys in GA?

The other concern is I saw another post which hinted that a sudden loss of reverse was the result of a clutch pack having some clip break that holds it together (thought I bookmarked it, but guess not) rather than the infamous plastic ball getting sucked through the hole in the valve body. I have had no trouble engaging forward gears and the box pretty much lost its hard 3-4 shift since I had the fluid and filter changed 2-3 years ago. Is there any way to tell without disassembly or should I just get the parts for both (with minimizing downtime -i.e.rental car- a prime consideration)? It does not appear that this car ever had the bathtub ball replacement. Dependent on which, how critical is it to get the car off the road immediately?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

http://www.europeantransmissions.com....BMW/98-61.pdf

I'd be a bit concerned about the warning about possible damage if you continue to use the car

Yes, that ZF bulletin is what caused the concern. Guess I will try for Kirt at both places. I assume a valve body can be changed out in a day if I get it overnighted in? I found the link about "retaining clip on the reverse clutch pack" which is here:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...t=reverse+540i
    If I can get that clip overnighted as well, are we still looking at a day? Also, how many have had the electrical connector on the tranny which goes to the computer be brittle and need replacement (I assume the whole cable assembly is one piece)? Can Kirt supply this as well?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Kirt can be contacted at autosports, see phone number inside
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/141358

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax View Post
    Yes, that ZF bulletin is what caused the concern. Guess I will try for Kirt at both places. I assume a valve body can be changed out in a day if I get it overnighted in? I found the link about "retaining clip on the reverse clutch pack" which is here:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...t=reverse+540i
    If I can get that clip overnighted as well, are we still looking at a day? Also, how many have had the electrical connector on the tranny which goes to the computer be brittle and need replacement (I assume the whole cable assembly is one piece)? Can Kirt supply this as well?
    Well, as I was the one speaking of that retaining clip problem I'll try to explain it better than I did in that post.

It's not a clip that breaks. It's the part of the clutch pack housing that the retaining clip fits into that breaks. Then the retaining clip is no longer holding the reverse clutch pack together. At that point you're in for a tranny change or full rebuild.

If you pull off the pan you'll see chunks of aluminum from the clutch housing if that's what it is.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Well, as I was the one speaking of that retaining clip problem I'll try to explain it better than I did in that post.

It's not a clip that breaks. It's the part of the clutch pack housing that the retaining clip fits into that breaks. Then the retaining clip is no longer holding the reverse clutch pack together. At that point you're in for a tranny change or full rebuild.

If you pull off the pan you'll see chunks of aluminum from the clutch housing if that's what it is.
    Think you could point out which bit you mean on a diagram? I have a feeling if you get too much lateral movement one of the packs will let go:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Flip the drum over and you'll see the clip at the inside edge, it holds the clutches inside the drum.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Think you could point out which bit you mean on a diagram? I have a feeling if you get too much lateral movement one of the packs will let go:
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Flip the drum over and you'll see the clip at the inside edge, it holds the clutches inside the drum.
    Oh, the circlip Thanks for the clarification

After the description and the picture (thanks for both) this looks pretty binary: circlip is holding/ its not holding. As such, it seems the clip would be without warning (such as taking ~10 seconds to go into reverse as has happened the last 2-3 weeks). The precursor sounds more consistent with the known issue with the bathtub ball. I tried Kirt a half dozen times Tuesday (thanks for a direct number shogun) with no luck. If I don't get him Wednesday, should I just go ahead and have one of his people overnight a valve body?
    Last edited by zhandax; 08-12-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax View Post
    After the description and the picture (thanks for both) this looks pretty binary: circlip is holding/ its not holding. As such, it seems the clip would be without warning (such as taking ~10 seconds to go into reverse as has happened the last 2-3 weeks). The precursor sounds more consistent with the known issue with the bathtub ball. I tried Kirt a half dozen times Tuesday (thanks for a direct number shogun) with no luck. If I don't get him Wednesday, should I just go ahead and have one of his people overnight a valve body?
    As Bubba said, I dont think its the circlip thats the problem-its only going to let go if the housing is damaged. The circlips on mine were still in place. A duff MV will also cause you to lose reverse (its no.3 on the 5HP18 but I couldnt tell you for the 5HP30) so you might want to check the electrics. I'd wait to get expert advice if you can though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast