GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: electrical socket question

Default electrical socket question

hello and thanks for the info, I replaced my injectors yesterday and while doing the work I removed one of the water temp. connections. Now the temp gauge moves around kind of like the tach. I am going to remove it and and replug it making sure its secure after the motor cools down a bit. My question is if its a good idea to use that electrical gel in the connection. It will keep it water tight and it should keep it clean. I know I use it at work on the machines. What I dont know is if it will help or hurt on the car being lower voltages. Has anyone else done it and is it ok to do.
    Thanks
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by h2oyo View Post
    hello and thanks for the info, I replaced my injectors yesterday and while doing the work I removed one of the water temp. connections. Now the temp gauge moves around kind of like the tach. I am going to remove it and and replug it making sure its secure after the motor cools down a bit. My question is if its a good idea to use that electrical gel in the connection. It will keep it water tight and it should keep it clean. I know I use it at work on the machines. What I dont know is if it will help or hurt on the car being lower voltages. Has anyone else done it and is it ok to do.
    Thanks
    Johan
    That stuff is really good for old connectors but since it conducts you want to make sure you don't unintentionally create a short between adjacent pins. I usually put just dab a tiny bit on the male ends before I plug them in then I unplug it again and wipe off any excess before I plug it in a final time. I was just at the same water temp sensors and I used 'marine grease' on them but it works the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    That stuff is really good for old connectors but since it conducts you want to make sure you don't unintentionally create a short between adjacent pins. I usually put just dab a tiny bit on the male ends before I plug them in then I unplug it again and wipe off any excess before I plug it in a final time. I was just at the same water temp sensors and I used 'marine grease' on them but it works the same.
    Thanks for the hints, I'll do that. I removed it and replugged it but the temp gauge is still fluctuating. If you accelerate like you want to get someplace the needle goes down almost to the blue then when you let off it comes back up. This all electrical right, it acts like vaccum.
    Johan

The last car I worked on that had bizzare instrument behaviour was due to a faulty engine ground. Didn't bother searching for it just ran a new ground wire from block to shock tower and all was well.
    This is easy and worth a shot.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"