GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about bypassing brake linings sensor

Default Question about bypassing brake linings sensor

So I got the brake linings message, and rather than replace the sensors I wanted to bypass them. I had read that they were a simple circuit that could be shorted to make the message go away.

I cut the wire between the pad connection and the part of the sensor that plugs into the thick plug mounted on the caliper itself. I took the two strands of wire there and looped them together. I did this front and back. However, I still have the brake linings message.

Am I doing it wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    So I got the brake linings message, and rather than replace the sensors I wanted to bypass them. I had read that they were a simple circuit that could be shorted to make the message go away.

I cut the wire between the pad connection and the part of the sensor that plugs into the thick plug mounted on the caliper itself. I took the two strands of wire there and looped them together. I did this front and back. However, I still have the brake linings message.

Am I doing it wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
    I dont think you are doing it wrong at all. I think its likely there is a break in the wiring before the cut you made. Try jumpering the wires at the plugs. If that doesnt work, trace the wiring back. I'd pay particular attention to the wiring where it hides behind the front suspension - it can chafe against the leg and break the circuit there.

There's a reset you need to do on the brake lining message to get it to go away after it's come up. I don't recall it exactly as I've not done it yet. But it has to do with turning the ignition on to position 1 or 2 (don't remember which) and leaving it there for a minute or so. Then I think you turn the ignition off and it shouldn't come on again.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

There are two sensors... front driver and rear passenger. You need to find out which one triggered that message. Once you found out, then splice it. If it doesn't work at where you spliced it, then there is still a wire break so cut back closer to the plug and splice it again.

Sensors are so cheap why not just buy a new one and put it in. Chances are if you bypassed it and it start to grind into your rotors, you are gonna be out of money even more unless you like those cheap rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    There are two sensors... front driver and rear passenger. You need to find out which one triggered that message. Once you found out, then splice it. If it doesn't work at where you spliced it, then there is still a wire break so cut back closer to the plug and splice it again.

Sensors are so cheap why not just buy a new one and put it in. Chances are if you bypassed it and it start to grind into your rotors, you are gonna be out of money even more unless you like those cheap rotors.
    both are spliced.

it's not a question of money, it's a question of not needing a sensor like this that can just suddenly stop working properly....my brake pads are fine. i've got hawk pads and brembo rotors, so it's not like i'm trying to save pennies here. i know when my pads need to be replaced and I don't need a defective nanny to tell me when it thinks they should be changed

the rear wheel bearing was replaced just before I started getting this message, which makes me think that the sensor was somehow damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I dont think you are doing it wrong at all. I think its likely there is a break in the wiring before the cut you made. Try jumpering the wires at the plugs. If that doesnt work, trace the wiring back. I'd pay particular attention to the wiring where it hides behind the front suspension - it can chafe against the leg and break the circuit there.
    i'm a bit nervous about cutting into the wiring prior to the plugs - the sleeve is very thick, and if I'm wrong looks like it could be difficult to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    There's a reset you need to do on the brake lining message to get it to go away after it's come up. I don't recall it exactly as I've not done it yet. But it has to do with turning the ignition on to position 1 or 2 (don't remember which) and leaving it there for a minute or so. Then I think you turn the ignition off and it shouldn't come on again.
    I had it in position one for quite a while, as I was listening to music while doing an oil change. I'll try position 2 and see what happens.

edit: tried position 2 for 30 seconds, a minute, 2 minutes - brake linings error stays prominently displayed
    Last edited by repenttokyo; 08-09-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Use a new wire and just stick it in where sensor would plug in... Do it on both of them, if the light is still on. Then I'd suspect somehow the mechanic damaged it doing the rear wheel bearing... my suspect would be the right rear.

If you got a multimeter, you should be able to measure DC voltage at each plug.

OK - I went out with my multimeter and the wires I am using to short the connection both have voltage, front and rear. I still cannot get the message to go away, no mater how long I leave the key in position ii - 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 2 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    OK - I went out with my multimeter and the wires I am using to short the connection both have voltage, front and rear. I still cannot get the message to go away, no mater how long I leave the key in position ii - 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 2 minutes
    I'm guessing you are touching one probe to ground and the other to one of the bare wires you cut and it shows 12V? What do you get if you switch to ohms range and connect to the return wire? If you compare front and back, I would expect on one you will get a reading (on the good connection) and zero on the duff one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast