GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery door locks.

Default Mystery door locks.

My key fob has not been working for some time, i have to use the key to lock and unlock.
    up until recently when you unlocked the car at the drivers door, it would would re-lock instantly, unlock a seccond time and it stays unlocked.
    locking was a single action.
    Now, when you unlock it is a single action, locking instantly unlocks, you have to lock it a second time for it to stay locked. this is a problem if my wife drives the car and forgets to 'double' lock the car.

I have had problem with the immobiliser when the key fob first stopped working, got some support from BMW and was told that if i got in the car, closed the doors, turned the key to on but did not start the car and waited 20 min or so, that the haz lights would flash and the immobiliser would turn off. this did happen but was a couple of years ago and the details are a bit fuzzy.

Any suggestions...
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

My first guess would be driver's door microswitch but this should help you:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...or+microswitch

I had this problem forever, and I replaced the actuator and a wiring harness leading to the trunk. Fixed!
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Driver's door actuator, about $70 from BMA, and you get to do some door diving. Not as fun as dash diving, but it's just as aggravating. Buy a couple extra door panel clips when you order the actuator for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    My first guess would be driver's door microswitch but this should help you:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...or+microswitch
    I'm having this problem with an aftermarket keyless system thats supposedly made for the BMW E34.
    When I lock the doors, they instantly unlock again.
    It might only happen once, or it might happen a couple of times before it stays locked.
    Unlocking works properly.
    Key in the lock works perfectly.
    Would this be the microswitch?
    ss2115.

BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    Golf MkIII - 1997 (fun car and daughters learn-to-drive car)

I found it was related to the licence plate light warning,

3 broken wires in the loom at the boot hinge. fixed that, all fixed..

Must not have been getting the locked feedback from the boot lock..
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
    I'm having this problem with an aftermarket keyless system thats supposedly made for the BMW E34.
    When I lock the doors, they instantly unlock again.
    It might only happen once, or it might happen a couple of times before it stays locked.
    Unlocking works properly.
    Key in the lock works perfectly.
    Would this be the microswitch?
    I've checked the wiring to the tailgate several times as it been blamed for a lot of electrical problems in E34's, but mine are all okay.

I still haven't solved this problem, but thats due to lack of time - not lack of success.

I thought I'd mention that the key in my passenger door will lock the car, but not unlock it - not even its own door. I'm not sure if this is part of the deadlocking or a sympton/clue of what might be going on.
    ie:
    Car locks and unlocks with key in drivers door.
    Car locks but won't unlock with key in passenger door.
    Key locks and unlocks with key in the tailgate.
    FOB locks/unlocks itself/locks again.
    FOB unlocks perfectly.

Before I go tearing door trims off during my holidays, does any of this trigger a response in anyone as to where the problem might be?
    ss2115.

I'd guess that the unlock microswitch on the passengers door doesn't work, or the wiring that goes from that switch to the general module has a break in it somewhere.

Where are door open fault codes stored? My key stopped lokcing/unlocking the doors after I failed to SHUT THE DRIVER's DOOR WHEN INITIALIZING after replacing the batteries in tyhe Key.. BMW Dealer scanned and told me "Door Open"faults and suggested I replace both front actuators as well as both Latches. I have so far only replaced the passenger actuator but the latch appeared fine when I had it out to change the actuator. I also tested so far only the driver's striker switch by pressing it with the door open and the dome lights went out ( set to )

.. I have looked at the Trunk wires and all appear intact. When I mnaulally lock either other the doors all will lock as will the truck and gas fill door then all unlock when turned to unlock so it would appear all the actuators are communicating with the Car (GM?)..

If the remote locking worked fine untill I inistyailized the key with the driver's door open by mistake could there still be a mechanical failure soemwhere which before my changing the key batteries DID NOT prevent the system from working properly but after my Screw Up with the Open Door has prevented the Door Open Fault from being cleared? back to my original question.

Where is the fault stored from my initialization attempt with the door open? DME? Despite what Stepham inSweeden seems to think I think I have EWSII becasue of the Ring around my Ignition. This file seems to say this Ignition Ring Antenna came with EWSII. Stephen thought I had EWSI.

The Car starts though I've been able to trigger the Immobilization accidentally when getting the door locks out of sync possibly the buttons are just sticking and sometimes not allowing the lock to engage (the rod may be slightly bent producing enough resistance to keep the locck from engaging) but If my key needs to be read to start the car and does normally can the key still be causing a problem with the locking system?

Is there a fault now embedded in the key transmitter memory from the door open initialization which is preventing anything I do on the car by way of repair to the parts of the locking system from ever working again?
    Last edited by Jehu; 12-22-2009 at 01:46 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    I'd guess that the unlock microswitch on the passengers door doesn't work, or the wiring that goes from that switch to the general module has a break in it somewhere.
    Do you think this is also affecting the remote lock/instant unlock problem as well, or do you think it will only solve the passenger door unlocking problem?
    ss2115.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast