GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 540i Transmission problem, please help!!

Default 1994 540i Transmission problem, please help!!

I'm having this problem with my 94 540i 145Kmiles, automatic: it looks like if I put the car in drive with the "E" setting (economy) it has a really hard time engaging the gears (basically it won't move unless I floor it), if I switch to winter driver "*" things run much smoother, almost normal. Any idea what could be wrong...?

Thanks!
    BMW...Freude am Fahren

When in drive, does it feels like parking brake is on? If yes, valve body is at fault. Very common occurrance on our 540i... due to a bit too small of a checkball. Call Kirt Koeller to get it rebuit... or have your local ZF shop do it for you. I got the same problem... and just got my VB back from Kirt

Yes! that's exactly what's happening. I'm sorry I'm new to the forum, could you please send me more info regarding the solution? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
    BMW...Freude am Fahren

I'm sorry what I meant to say is that I don't know how to contact Kirk or what ZF shop is. Once again, thanks for your help. BTW: how difficult and how expensive was it to have the valve repaired?
    BMW...Freude am Fahren

Kirt is in Zeeland, Michigan... his phone number is 616-748-5735 or 800-624-3876 just ask for Kirt.

The rebuild is $350 and $25 for filter kit if you send your valve body to him... or if you want him to send you one first... $500 plus refundable deposit.

The question is if you ever done tranny before? It involves draining fluid, dropping the pan (23 torx bolts), and 13 of the larger torx bolts on the valve body out of 30-something, and 13mm bolt for speedometer sensor plus removing a electrical plug from tranny housing (easy stuff).

Then you need a level car to fill the fluid to the proper level. 17mm allen socket required.

If you don't feel you can do this job, then it is best left to a ZF shop to do this for you... to have someone do this job for you while you supply the vb... is probably about $240 labor.

Tranny fluid is another topic... original Shell LA2634 is $32 a quart at dealer... $25 online... However, I found Pennzoil or Quaker State Multivehicle ATF to be compatible with our tranny... Pennzoil specifically said all BMW except the new 6 speed BMW tranny on the current 7 series. Redline also said their flluid is compatible with our tranny. ZF does not acknowledge any of this... so it is your choice.

I am going to use Pennzoil because it is easily availble at $3 a quart... Quaker State is impossible to find in my area... so is Valvoline Maxlife ATF (not the one with Stop-leak... this is different stuff).

Mobil 1 specifically said to me that their Mobil 1 ATF synthetic is not compatible with our tranny.

For more info on tranny fluid discussion, please search... we have discussed this comprehensively.

i heard the valve body is under 500 for a rebuilt one, you have to send your old one in too. Heres the info I have on Kirt

Kirt Koeller
    europetransman@hotmail.com
    direct (616)748-5735
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

$350... and one more thing...

http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/

Call him up... he is impossible to find on email.

Awesome! thanks for all the information guys. I spoke with David and he told me it was going to cost me $550 if I sent them the valve body so I should probably check with Kirt, he might have a "bimmer.info members special" or something.
    About getting the part out; I recently rebuilt a Jeep Cherokee's engine in my garage without previous experience (just for fun), and I was able to put it back together and it runs so I think this might be something I can try. Besides, David told me he's going to send me some literature and diagrams showing how to get the part out.
    David also mentioned that they have the original fluid from BMW so I guess it's the best option.
    BMW...Freude am Fahren

$2500+ for a remanufactured 5HP30? jesus christ. I hope my tranny's ok..

Ya! I know! Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast