GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: painting black bumper trim

Default painting black bumper trim

I know it's been discussed before, but my research was not very conclusive. Since I have a lot of trim off right now, I thought I'd clean the pieces up and paint them with some kind of glossy black paint. I was thinking of using this Rust-Oleum black enamel spray sitting in my basement. I've never been able to find any info on what, if anything, will actually stick to that porous surface.
    Anyone tried this?

BennyM

If you do it use the proper additive to the paint that allows it to flex a bit. Those strips are there to absorb minor bumps.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

My suggestion - go to a "real" auto body store and ask what they have over the counter. Most of the stuff I have seen is something like a black lacquer (I believe) which dries really fast and is easy to paint - remember prep is everything - clean all wax and oil and then a slight scuff usually with a scotchbrite (take the trim off first). They usually have two or three types of rattle can paints you can use. I used them on my RX-7...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by BennyM View Post
    I know it's been discussed before, but my research was not very conclusive. Since I have a lot of trim off right now, I thought I'd clean the pieces up and paint them with some kind of glossy black paint. I was thinking of using this Rust-Oleum black enamel spray sitting in my basement. I've never been able to find any info on what, if anything, will actually stick to that porous surface.
    Anyone tried this?

BennyM
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Go to an auto parts store or some other shop that would sell auto paints. There's specific bumper paints that flex a bit to resist cracking & peeling and are designed to adhere to the various materials bumpers are made out of.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Krylon paint for plastic may work if they have a smooth satin black paint. I sprayed a faded garden hose holder and this stuff really sticks tight. Just a thought.

Best approach is to buy new trim pieces. I did this about 18 months ago after some front end damage.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Krylon paint for plastic may work if they have a smooth satin black paint. I sprayed a faded garden hose holder and this stuff really sticks tight. Just a thought.

Best approach is to buy new trim pieces. I did this about 18 months ago after some front end damage.
    Rattle can of proper bumper paint is $10 or less. All 6 bumper trim pieces costs a whole lot more than that. If they're not damaged there's no reason a decent coat of bumper paint isn't the way to go.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I hear you. However, with paint there is aways the chance of paint chipping if there is an impact. while the original plastic parts will just scuff.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I used bumper black several months back, no chipping no scuffing. This stuff sticks pretty good and is flexable. On my son's 7 the bumper is all one piece no bumper inserts. So I painted the bumpers/dam with Alpine White II and the trimed them out with bumper black. Looks pretty good.