GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Driver's door lock - can't turn key, but door locks, unlocks fine from passenger side

Default Driver's door lock - can't turn key, but door locks, unlocks fine from passenger side

So I can no longer get into my driver's side door with the key - the key will not turn whatsoever. In fact, I broke the plastic part of the key trying to get it to turn.

However, the door locks / unlocks with no issues if I use the key from the passenger side. So the locking mechanism itself wouldn't seem to be the problem, just the cylinder where the key goes in.

Does this mean it is corroded? It did seem to get worse after a long spat of rain that we had - I'm talking weeks of wet weather.

What is the best way to loosen the lock so that the key will work once more?

Use lock lube... you might need new key as old one can be worn to the point it doesn't work well.

A quick test would be to use WD40.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Use lock lube... you might need new key as old one can be worn to the point it doesn't work well.

A quick test would be to use WD40.
    i will get the lock lube as you suggested. the key works fine in every other lock, so i don;t think it is the problem.

wd40 works great to unstick but then you have to relube or it gets worse. would be a shame but are you sure you haven't been super glued?

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    wd40 works great to unstick but then you have to relube or it gets worse. would be a shame but are you sure you haven't been super glued?
    I don't think so - I've been intermittently having trouble with the lock for about 2 months, and now it's finally stuck so that i can only wiggle it side to side, not completely lock it. Since it's been progressive, I don't think i was pranked.

This doesn't sound like a corrosion issue, me thinks the lock is broken.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

used some graphite grease, key works perfectly now - thanks for cautioning me to stay away from wd40, I avoided some mess and hopefully introduced a more longterm solution.

WD40 is okay to use in a pinch but has to be replaced with lock lube. Glad it works out.