GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack pedistal

Default Jack pedistal

Been thinking about building a jacking pedistal for my Bimmers for a while. I know there has been problems finding locations on the Bimmers to safely raise the vehicle without damaging anything. And using the Bimmer jack is a pain. I thought why not jack the vehicle at the jack points. Here is what I have come up with. It consist of a 1 inch pipe union bolted to a used brake pad. I counter sunk both the end of the bolt into the union and countersunk the nut into the pad. I can now jack my vehicle using my 10 ton jack and without damaging anything under the car. What do you guys think? Next week I will find some 1.25" rod and weld it to a 3/8" plate, then I don't have to worry about it rolling by snapping the bolt. Of course never rely on a jack to hold up the vehicle always place jack stands before getting under any vehicle

Last edited by Kibokojoe; 07-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.

looks good but why not just jack it at under the subframe at the front of the car?

I've heard you can bend the subframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    looks good but why not just jack it at under the subframe at the front of the car?

I think we all have tried using a standard floor jack on these points and seeing the metal start to bend is not a good feeling. If you perfect this I am sure many of us out there would be interested in building or buying one. Have you ever thought of grooving a flat piece to fit the rocker part jutting down?

I think its a great idea. Half a tonne is a lot for a pipe fitting though - have you tested it yet?

Yeap sure did and she held up just fine, I am still leaning towards making it out of solid stock metal. Need to find a source for 1.25" rod.

I'd also be a little wary of applying that much pressure on a small piece of Chinese cast iron.
    A "close" nipple(s) treaded in would strengthen it.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

If there is enough interest, I can have these cast for about $12.00 USD a piece. They will weigh about 2 pounds each so shipping won't be too hateful. Let me know. I will have to make the patterns and minimum will be 8 at a time. Biggest thing is making the patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    A "close" nipple(s) treaded in would strengthen it.
    With the greatest respect, I cant help thinking that this has got something to do with your signature pic Having solved the problem of lifting the car without bending it, where are we to put the axle stands? Under the chassis rail pinches them. I've put them under the sills with timber in between and hated every second. So where is best? Do we need a poll?

Pattern is made. I will take it to the foundry tomorrow. Let you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast