GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help - Nasty noise when shifting auto trans

Default Help - Nasty noise when shifting auto trans

Upon arriving at work this AM I notice when I change gears in my automatic transmission it makes a noise almost like a starter engaging when a car is already running. My car is a 1989 535iA (build date 10/88)

Beside the obvious of checking the fluid level is there anything else I should check. (I may have lost some tranny fluid when I replaced the cooling system).

Thanks

specifically, when does it do it? when your shifting from P to D, or D to P, or inbetween? how long does it make the noise for ? does it do it while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott E
    Upon arriving at work this AM I notice when I change gears in my automatic transmission it makes a noise almost like a starter engaging when a car is already running. My car is a 1989 535iA (build date 10/88)

Beside the obvious of checking the fluid level is there anything else I should check. (I may have lost some tranny fluid when I replaced the cooling system).

Thanks
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    specifically, when does it do it? when your shifting from P to D, or D to P, or inbetween? how long does it make the noise for ? does it do it while driving?
    Only occurs when I am moving the gear selector (P-D, D-R,) and last for only a second or two. I did not notice a problem while driving.

If nobody else is gonna chime in, i forgot to ask the obvious question......as it is occuring when your changing over a range of gears, does it grind when it hits a specific position? or does it grind only when you complete the P-d or D-p transition ( i assure you this distinction does matter).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott E
    Only occurs when I am moving the gear selector (P-D, D-R,) and last for only a second or two. I did not notice a problem while driving.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Maybe your starter selenoid is bad... didn't pull the starter gear back enough... so it is partially engaged.

After work today I checked the fluid level and it was fine. Nor did it make any excess noise. If it occurs tomorrow I will be sure to note which transitions