GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Independent shop charge for basic head gasket job?

Default Independent shop charge for basic head gasket job?

Independent shop charge for basic head gasket job? '89 525a 171k has bad head gasket, non working AC that is in shop for diagnosis and nearly time for timing belt.

Very recent work includes brakes with rotors, struts, complete control arm and tie rod replacement, and new tires. Interior excellent, paint weak and left quarter has about $400 work needed.

Great design that has served my wife well with exception of three overheat, leave driver at mercy of AAA towing failures. Fortunately, two have been in town, and one w/in five miles of our son's home after 190 mile, mid winter drive.

Wife is losing confidence and I am concerned about bad AC followed by transmission failure. There are two questions.

1) Can we get reliable advice on what is needed to make the car reliable?

2) Is that cost worth putting into the car or should we sell it as is and move up to newer, or find another e34 that has had all the fixes or has low miles etc for reliability and low service cost. Fat chance. No one is likely to let such a prize go and if so it stays in the family or friend circle.

Have '89 525m but wife has knee pain that makes it bad for her. Knee pain is problem, not the manual.

Whadda ya think?

I think it is time for you to upgrade. Unless you got buddies to help you out on the AC but I am afraid the head gasket job will cost a fortune as you have to do the timing belt at the same time. Transmission is a serious thought expecially at your mileage.

Get your price quote on the headgasket/timing belt first. Since Obama is going ahead with the $3500 to $4500 credit for your old car in fall, this is your chance to take advantage of it. The requirement is you must own the car at least a year before tradein. Unfortunately it only applies to new car... if you get a Toyota Prius or any cheaper hybrid, you can easily qualify for $4500 credit and lower the car down to $16000 range... it is an option.