GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm back!

Default I'm back!

Hi everyone,

I used to contribute here regularly. Then, shortly after the 2006 meet in Chicago, I realized this forum was taking up way too much of my time, and the only way to quit was cold turkey, so I've been gone for about three years. But I'm back. Couldn't live without you, and all that other crap.

Here's the past three years in a nutshell: I still have my 1990 535i, and it still drives like a dream. But in the intervening years, rust has really taken its toll. The front doors are completely rotten, the sills at the front jacking points are a disaster, and there's lots of little rust spots all over.

This car was my dad's, and he left it to me when he died, so it's hard for me to part with it. But when I consider what it would cost to put it right, plus that after doing so it would still be 'just' a 535 without the sport interior or pulling power I really want, it just doesn't seem to make sense.

So I am now planning to sell that car (doubt I can get much more than $2k for it) and replace it with the best E34 M5 I can afford. My budget is about $12,000. Not a whole lot, I know, but I think it should be adequate to bag a good M5. I'm not interested in a fix-er-upper, 'cause that's what I have now.

Next year I expect a bonus of about $10k. I'll decide at that time whether to invest in an engine rebuild for the E34 M5 (which any E34 M5 I'm able to afford will likely need soon enough) or sell the E34, get most of my money back, and upgrade to an E39 M5. Which option I go for one year from now will depend on how much I fall in love with the E34 M5 during that year.

I'm very interested in your feedback. This plan isn't written in stone. What do you think? And do you know a good M5 that fits my description and budget?

I know beggars can't be choosers, but in any case let me tell you that my ideal car would have:

• a dark exterior color
    • a black, tan, cream or caramel interior
    • the extended leather option
    • no rust whatsoever
    • the 3.8 liter S38 engine (versus the 3.6)

...but I can be flexible.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Sounds like a good plan, rust is unstoppable.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

you won't find a 3.8 car in your price range. but your other preferences are very doable.

I can live with that. Thanks for the input.

I've just read somewhere that U.S. market 3.6 cars were not offered with anything but basic leather (seats only). Extended or (dare I dream?) complete leather is a must-have, so I may end up with a Canadian car after all, which is ideal.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i View Post
    I can live with that. Thanks for the input.

I've just read somewhere that U.S. market 3.6 cars were not offered with anything but basic leather (seats only). Extended or (dare I dream?) complete leather is a must-have, so I may end up with a Canadian car after all, which is ideal.
    one thing to keep in mind is that Canadian M5's will be much more expensive - just because they are so much rarer and spread out across the country. your best 'deals' will be in the US. However, you might luck out and find a reasonable price on something that was imported from Germany fairly recently, or from Japan. Prices are usually reasonable on those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    one thing to keep in mind is that Canadian M5's will be much more expensive - just because they are so much rarer and spread out across the country. your best 'deals' will be in the US. However, you might luck out and find a reasonable price on something that was imported from Germany fairly recently, or from Japan. Prices are usually reasonable on those cars.
    Fair enough. The flip side is that there are costs associated with buying a car across the border. I'll lose on the exchange rate, and then I need to buy a flight to go pick it up, plus a couple of nights in hotels on the drive back if it's far away. Then again, the travel costs also apply if I have to cross Canada. I'm scouring both countries and will make the decision when the right car presents itself.

Why do you think a recent German import would be less expensive? And I wonder if there are many of those in Canada.

I assume Japanese imports would be right hand drive. That'd just be too weird.

I know that with my budget I'm going to have to be patient to find the right car, but I can afford to be patient. For the time being, exterior rusty cosmetics aside, my current car serves me well.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i View Post
    Fair enough. The flip side is that there are costs associated with buying a car across the border. I'll lose on the exchange rate, and then I need to buy a flight to go pick it up, plus a couple of nights in hotels on the drive back if it's far away. Then again, the travel costs also apply if I have to cross Canada. I'm scouring both countries and will make the decision when the right car presents itself.

Why do you think a recent German import would be less expensive? And I wonder if there are many of those in Canada.

I assume Japanese imports would be right hand drive. That'd just be too weird.

I know that with my budget I'm going to have to be patient to find the right car, but I can afford to be patient. For the time being, exterior rusty cosmetics aside, my current car serves me well.
    there are no right hand drive bmw imports from japan - 99 percent LHD.

recent German imports and Japanese imports are less expensive because they are more common than domestic M5's in Canada. A friend of mine sold his German import M5 a few years ago for around 14k - much less than the 20k+ some people are asking

Thanks.

I found this one:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121772

The pictures look a bit tatty, but the owner promises he's spent lots on it recently and that it looks much better now. The front seats have some major wear on them. Am I correct in thinking that they could be easily rejuvenated with some Leatherique dye and lotion?

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

looks clean, and price is reasonable. get it inspected by an Indy and see what turns up

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    A friend of mine sold his German import M5 a few years ago for around 14k - much less than the 20k+ some people are asking
    Daytona violet 3.8, cloth interior, w/ ~ 130K km?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast