GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Took my fuel level sender out

Default Took my erratic fuel level sender out

and cleaned the contact on the outside, the connector that goes to it and the solderings, now the dang car wonīt start.. All hoses were reattached correctly and I didnīt even touch the pump!

Initially the car wouldnīt start due to lack of fuel of course but then started when the pressure was up and I went to fill in some gas, even started fine again after that.. So I arrived home after a 50 km drive, no mishaps, parked it on a level spot and this morning when I was going to work it simply wouldnīt start at all even after like 10 tries

Fuse 23 is fine! Residual contactcleaner thatīs creating a short maybe?

All was well before I fiddled with it, what couldīve happened?
    Last edited by Bo525i; 06-24-2009 at 11:20 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Gotta be wiring - you probably disturbed something when you pulled the sender. Probably, you need to pull out the pump and see if you tugged something loose there. I assume that you did connect all the hoses.

What about putting an ohm meter across the power terminals for the pump - you could do that before openeing the tank to see if there is continuity - if you get infinite resistance, you've found the problem.

Now that Iīm trying to recall any wierd behavior going home yesterday, I went for a beer after work when I started the car after that, it flickered briefly on the dash and interior lights like something electrical was shorting.. Going to take the pump and sender assembly apart again to find whats causing this as it wasnīt there before I took out the sender..

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

It was what I suspected, residual contact cleaner that evidently doesnīt evaporate as fast as advertised, I did wait like 10 mins after cleaning.. Gave the connector a good spray with pressurized air and reconnected it! Bingo.. Started right away, no flickerings!

Thx for your suggestions and holding my hand!

Default Which connector

Which connector? Where? I am getting ready to do this job and need to know the pitfalls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    It was what I suspected, residual contact cleaner that evidently doesnīt evaporate as fast as advertised, I did wait like 10 mins after cleaning.. Gave the connector a good spray with pressurized air and reconnected it! Bingo.. Started right away, no flickerings!

Thx for your suggestions and holding my hand!

The connector on the top lid outside the tank that feeds the level sender and pump.. You canīt miss it as you have to remove that plus 2 feed hoses to access the tank interior and the sender/pump units!

See pic:

1: level sender ground
    2: low fuel warning light
    3: level sender
    4: pump ground
    5: pump
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool

So did the cleaning fix your erratic fuel level ,mine goes up and down when low.
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

Somewhat, it still jumps around but not as much!