GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: which line is it (got ramps... d'oh!)

Default which line is it (got ramps... d'oh!)

so these guys work pretty well and they were cheap.... not superb clearance but enough for a little guy to to get underneath. As you can see, my parking space is no place for jackstands. They are 'bigfoot 1200's - I wouldn't recommend them for a lowered car.

boy did this fuel (?) line ever rot last winter. (this is my question... anyone know which line is this?) The floor is ok the brown is from the rusted line.

(there is fear in those eyes...)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

red eyes look baked

the 2 lines on the left I believe are hydraulic lines for the brakes/leveling. The 3 to the right are fuel and vent, not sure which is which tho so I guess I am of no help. one pressure, one return and one for the charcoal canister ventilation. You may be able to back track them from the hood area as they will be in the same position to the rear.

you could soak the center one with a rust treatment to stop the continuing rust while you figure if it's a high pressure line or the vent.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    red eyes look baked
    lucky guess i'm out of focus

yeah i sprayed it with rubber undercoating for now - ain't nothing gonna stop that rust!

that is helpful actually, i am glad it's not the brakes and i was wondering why there were 3 lines not 2...

undercoating will not stop the rust where the rust converters will. I was thinking about that center line and why it would rust and not the other 2... maybe that line is colder than the others for whatever reason and the engine/exhaust warms the area with that single line condensing water vapors? idonno, maybe time to get some redeye here too lol.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I replaced all 3 fuel lines on my '93 525iT with dealer parts back in Feb 2006- the centre line is the vent pipe which runs from the expansion tank up in the right rear wheelarch to the charcoal canister in the engine bay(front left area).The line on the left in the picture, which is slightly apart from the other 2 is the fuel feed line and the one on the right is the fuel return line.Btw the vent pipe is shown on a seperate diagram to the 2 fuel lines which confused me when I started out on this job.
    If you go the dealer parts route the lines come bent in all the right places but you will need to drop the exhaust, remove the left side rear sub-frame mount bolt to drop it a couple of inches and if you can, remove the left rear shock(I couldn't!) to keep it that way.

+1 on centre being the vent pipe... Mines rotted through where it travels past the fuel filter, never caused any issues though so haven't messed with it!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Thanks guys... I suppose that was pretty slack with the rubber undercoating but I think no matter what I put on that it's going to fail pretty soon... Going by Kev's tear-down list (naw... too much work!) I'm thinking of going generic flexible stainless for this one seeing as it is just a vent and the other ones look totally fine.

My guess as to why this one rusted but not the other 2...

because it's relatively empty when it sits and thus expands/contracts more in extreme temperatures such as -30'c overnights. (?)