GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oil still leaking after Oil Pan and Oil Filter housing gasket replacement

Default Oil still leaking after Oil Pan and Oil Filter housing gasket replacement

I replaced the Oil Pan Gasket and the Oil Filter housing Gasket a month ago on my 95-M50 and I still have a small but annoying oil leak. I checked all around the oil pan and it seems fine with no obvious leaks and so is the oil filter housing.

The oil seems to be accumulating and leaking from the levelling switch one drop at a time #10 here...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=11&fg=10

I didn't change the levelling switch ORing (#12) at that time. I remember jacking up the engine (with mounts off) to get the oil pump out. So in order to just replace this ORing, do I have to lift the engine again?

Thanks

Havent replaced the gasket and am surprised you had to take the oil pump off to get the sump out. What a PITA. As the oil level switch is in the low part of the sump forward of the crossmember, you should be able to get at it easily by dropping the sump guard.

I can reach the Oil levelling switch (or the Oil Level sensor) fairly easily. Just two questions..

In order to change the Oil Ring/Gasket...

1. DO I have to remove/Drain the oil from the pan?
    2. Do I have to lift the engine to get the remove the old Gasket and insert the new one?

Thanks
    SB

Quote Originally Posted by sbihue View Post
    I can reach the Oil levelling switch (or the Oil Level sensor) fairly easily. Just two questions..

In order to change the Oil Ring/Gasket...

1. DO I have to remove/Drain the oil from the pan?
    2. Do I have to lift the engine to get the remove the old Gasket and insert the new one?

Thanks
    SB
    When you take out the switch its going to leave a big hole so yes drain the oil. It looks like you only have to undo the 3 nuts to get it out so I see no reason to lift the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    When you take out the switch its going to leave a big hole so yes drain the oil. It looks like you only have to undo the 3 nuts to get it out so I see no reason to lift the engine.
    Ok Thanks

There are two plugs that look like freeze caps on the back of the oil filter housing facing the firewall. They are both located under the oil pressure switch. If you have the freeze plug type, the o-rings inside become hard and leak oil. Here is a write on how to replace them. In the write there is also a part number.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1109419

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    There are two plugs that look like freeze caps on the back of the oil filter housing facing the firewall. They are both located under the oil pressure switch. If you have the freeze plug type, the o-rings inside become hard and leak oil. Here is a write on how to replace them. In the write there is also a part number.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1109419
    Thanks. I already checked the Oil filter housing and the leak is definitely not coming from there or the oil pan. The source seems to be either the levelling switch or around the Power Steering pump.

I'll try with the levelling switch gasket first and if that doesn't fix it will check it out further.

Quote Originally Posted by sbihue View Post
    Thanks. I already checked the Oil filter housing and the leak is definitely not coming from there or the oil pan. The source seems to be either the levelling switch or around the Power Steering pump.

I'll try with the levelling switch gasket first and if that doesn't fix it will check it out further.
    They are some distance apart and different oils. Power steering fluid will have a distinctive smell. Put a large piece of cardboard underneath and weigh it down with bricks so it doesnt blow away. Run the engine and have a beer. Inspect cardboard for drops. You could always use a plumbline (a nut or bolt on the end of a piece of string will do) to trace a vertical line from the drops