GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Front Oil Leak - Need clues.

Default Front Oil Leak - Need clues.

I've got a decent oil leak in the front part of the car and cannot locate it. Any clues? There is a plastic sheild under the front of that car that catches it and it drips from there. There's about a 4" spot on the driveway every morning. Mrs. not happy with the stains.

Any clues?
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Are you sure it is engine oil? I had a drip that wound up being PS fluid that was from a leaky hose connection with the reservoir.

If you can pull the plastic, then pull it. Then clean everything so you can spot anything new that leaks/drips.

Default Remove shield and "get out and get under" the car

As the other poster said, could be PS fluid....the plastic shield allows the oil to run anywhere...you need to get under and scope it out

Quote Originally Posted by vping View Post
    I've got a decent oil leak in the front part of the car and cannot locate it. Any clues? There is a plastic sheild under the front of that car that catches it and it drips from there. There's about a 4" spot on the driveway every morning. Mrs. not happy with the stains.

Any clues?
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Quote Originally Posted by philbyil View Post
    As the other poster said, could be PS fluid....the plastic shield allows the oil to run anywhere...you need to get under and scope it out
    True. The other likely culprit is the crank position sensor bolt. I think there are well documented fixits on the web (maybe Bruno's E34.net?).

How're you doing, Uncle Phil? I'm missing the 535i although the E90 is no slouch.

Regards,
    Adnan

Pop that plastic shield off and clean up the front of the engine. Run it and see where the leak is coming from. That shield is held on by 4 plastic nuts, so its a nobrainer to pull it off. I have a similar leak and came to the conclusion that my oil pan gasket has deteriorated at the front and is now leaking. I sense fun times ahead for me

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
    True. The other likely culprit is the crank position sensor bolt. I think there are well documented fixits on the web (maybe Bruno's E34.net?).

How're you doing, Uncle Phil? I'm missing the 535i although the E90 is no slouch.

Regards,
    Adnan
    Hmmm interesting. I was under the other day when i changed the oil and noticed the outside of my engine was niceley lubricated LOL... Coming from somewhere high, ie above the sump. This could be it - nice one.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Rus View Post
    Pop that plastic shield off and clean up the front of the engine. Run it and see where the leak is coming from. That shield is held on by 4 plastic nuts, so its a nobrainer to pull it off. I have a similar leak and came to the conclusion that my oil pan gasket has deteriorated at the front and is now leaking. I sense fun times ahead for me
    I'm missing about 6" of gasket at the front where the sump joins the timing chain cover. Used nice blue sealant to fill the gap. Is it pretty? Cant see it and neither can anybody else. And it hasnt lost a drop in over a year. Just have to make sure the surfaces are clean and dry

I had it off when I got it and did not notice the leak from down low but from higher up. Need to scope it out again.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Default Howdy Back mate!!

Howdy Adnan !
    I'm doing great thank you....Living in TX now and enjoying the 70/80mph speed limits

Just got back from a 450 mile round trip in the GQ and running 70mph on the back roads when I could and 80mph on Interstate 10, my trip avge MPH was 65.4 MPH and the MPG was 25.9mpg...with the a/c on all the way!

Hope life is good for you.....Hey! A Bimmer is a Bimmer mate...newer design/smaller body or not

Stay fit, well and out of trouble
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Quote Originally Posted by vping View Post

Any clues?
    If it is not coming from the oil pan and its higher up then check the oil filter housing. It is another common source of oil-leak