GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Susp Advice - replace or upgrade?

Default Susp Advice - replace or upgrade?

Need some opinions here...I have a '90 535iM with about 158k miles on it, daily driver. In good condition overall, runs great. I installed the Sachs Sporting suspension on the car about 60k miles ago, along with ST sway bars, and PS2's on 17" t-star replicas. Car handles well but I've always felt that the Boge shocks in the Sachs kit were underdamped in rebound - car gets a low frequency vibration when going over expansion joints rather than just 1 impact that is then damped out.

Recently the rear end started feeling unsettled when hitting a bump mid-corner. Dogbones are new. Noticed that one of the rear shocks is covered in oil and I assume is shot. The other rear shock looks fine. Can't really tell with the fronts since they sit in the strut. So here's my question - should I try to get a replacement Sachs shock for the rear, or replace all of them with Bilstein Sports?

Anybody have experience with both, or dealt with a failing Sachs Sporting kit? Thoughts?

- Dave
    Dave Rutkowski
    '08 M3 6sp
    '90 535i 5sp
    '81 635CSi dogleg (track car)

Go eith Bilstein Sport... That's what I have and am happy with it. Check your sway bar links... if you never changed it, it is time to do so.

I blew 3 front Bilsteins so not a fan of them, had real good luck with the sachs/boge only blew 1 over a 3 year period.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It's the streets of Chicagoland blowing them out. I would try for new Boge shocks for the rear. Just my opinion.

Koni and Sachs are top of the line products, but any shock is going to get hammered by those streets.

One of the best results I ever experienced was when I replaced the 17" wheels/tires on the 535i that also had the Sachs Sporting kit, with 16" wheels. The car still handled remarkably well, but the expansion joints were smoothed out and the sound of the suspension taking a lick was dimenished. I really enjoyed it, the best of both worlds.

Maybe keep a lookout for some 16's for daily driving use, and replace the blown rear shocks, keeping the good one for a future spare.

Hope the wife and kids are doing well, take care of yourself Dave.

See you later,
    JR

Hi Dave, long time no chat!

+1 for 16's. I run 850 rims with stiff summer tires and have both good turn-in and good ride.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I've been running a sporting kit since 2002. It's beautiful. Still going strong.

Default Just ordered Bilstein Sports

for the rear from Bav Auto for $92 ea, along with spring pads & upper mounts. Will post on how that works out with the Eibach springs from the Sachs Sporting kit.
    Dave Rutkowski
    '08 M3 6sp
    '90 535i 5sp
    '81 635CSi dogleg (track car)