GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Coolant leak + smell in cabin = ????

Default Coolant leak + smell in cabin = ????

Hi folks,

I've got a coolant leak somewhere. I checked all of the coolant hoses and around the engine bay, but there is no apparent leak there. The engine runs beautifully, so I'm assuming it's not a head gasket. The radiator and water pump are roughly 2 years old. So, I'm guessing it's either the heater core or radiator cap. Would you smell coolant in the cabin if it was the radiator cap? Or is it the heater core?

Thanks,
    Mark

The heater core.

what's the weather like there? you could always tie it off for the time being until you can get it fixed...i'm not doing mine until september. wouldn't like to be losing coolant in an e34, with its excessively fickle cooling system.
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by mancini_mark
    Hi folks,

I've got a coolant leak somewhere. I checked all of the coolant hoses and around the engine bay, but there is no apparent leak there. The engine runs beautifully, so I'm assuming it's not a head gasket. The radiator and water pump are roughly 2 years old. So, I'm guessing it's either the heater core or radiator cap. Would you smell coolant in the cabin if it was the radiator cap? Or is it the heater core?

Thanks,
    Mark
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default what model car?

If an M30, check the coolan tank on the firewall for cracks... Mine was splitting on the seams and a little coolant was running down the firewall. Hard to spot. Smelled like antifreeze in the cabin - just like a heater core.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by mancini_mark
    Hi folks,

Thanks,
    Mark
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

It's a 1990 525 (M20). All the cooling stuff is up front...seems ok. Man those heater cores are expensive.